subtitling on TV

pete doree

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm writing to maybe get some info on subtitling on british TV: My dad has recently become deaf ( he actually has a form of distortion ), and needs subtitles to watch TV. Naturally, most of the things he wants to watch aren't subtitled. I'm thinking specifically of channels like Alibi or The History Channel, where it seems completely random as to which shows are titled.
I've been in touch with RNID, and all they really say is that we can complain about a specific program, and that each channel has a quota it legally needs to fill, but that they're mostly lazy about going beyond the minimum legal requirement. The BBC say on their site that they're committed to subtitling 100% of their programming, but there's no timescale given.
Are there any campaigns going on to highlight this issue? Or does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to help my dad?
Many thanks
Pete Doree

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location from General Chat to Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter.

You could contact the company who owns that channel on TV via email or write a letter. I checked out the BBC site, you can 'make a complaint' (that if BBC owns The History Channel). I don't know much about British TV. :)

Hi everybody,
I'm writing to maybe get some info on subtitling on british TV: My dad has recently become deaf ( he actually has a form of distortion ), and needs subtitles to watch TV. Naturally, most of the things he wants to watch aren't subtitled. I'm thinking specifically of channels like Alibi or The History Channel, where it seems completely random as to which shows are titled.
I've been in touch with RNID, and all they really say is that we can complain about a specific program, and that each channel has a quota it legally needs to fill, but that they're mostly lazy about going beyond the minimum legal requirement. The BBC say on their site that they're committed to subtitling 100% of their programming, but there's no timescale given.
Are there any campaigns going on to highlight this issue? Or does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to help my dad?
Many thanks
Pete Doree

The BBC has near 100% subtitling already, they and S4C a welsh language channel has too. There is no real reason why Prior subtitled programs cannot be aired again with them (As per the History channel), but there are always problems. Britain has iplayer too, which shows programs we may have missed again, however titles are often missing where they weren't before ! We are told it is a technical issue.

The RNID are NOT The right people to ask, they took no part in the subtitling campaigns in Britain, this was done via Hearing Concern and the BDA. There are the Deaf Broadcasting Council and TAG in the UK who can advize. However ! non-terrestrial TV we have no control whatever over, we cannot insist they subtitle. SKY is a service provider, but a commercial one, again we can only ask if they remind the channels they put out, of deaf need.

A number of imported American programs are often show subitiled as well if they carry them. Many History/wildlife programs are on DVD's and fully titled too. (Smiths and shops like that in the UK carry them). BBC programs are the best titled in the world so far, and the most comprehensive ITV are so-so but improving...

Back