Study: Suicide rate high for Irish gay teens

Lasza

Premium Lurker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Study: Suicide rate high for Irish gay teens

SUMMARY: Nearly a third of young lesbian and gay people in Northern Ireland have tried to kill themselves because of ongoing persecution and bullying, according to a new survey.

Nearly a third of young lesbian and gay people in Northern Ireland have tried to kill themselves because of ongoing persecution and bullying, according to a new survey.

Just over 29 percent of gay respondents to the Department of Education (news - web sites) poll said they had attempted suicide, with as many as 50 percent saying they suffered some sort of bullying regarding their sexuality.

Additionally, 26 percent of young people self-harmed as a way of dealing with the pressures they faced regarding their sexuality.

Carried out online through Youthnet and supporting partners throughout the region, the survey also reveals that lesbian and gay teenagers and young people are 20 times more likely to suffer eating disorders then their heterosexual peers.

Campaigning groups say the research is evidence that authorities in the region need to "wake up" to the dangers facing young lesbians and gay people.

"This report makes very stark reading, which reflects the isolation these young people are facing here," Youthnet Director Dennis Palmer said, as quoted in the Belfast Telegraph.

The research follows a survey last year that found homophobia to be "normal and justifiable to many" throughout Northern Ireland, with 8 out of 10 people suffering verbal and physical abuse as a regular occurrence.

The study led to a standoff between local police and gay rights group Northern Ireland Gay Rights Association (NIGRA), who warned that the police were not acting quickly enough to stamp out homophobia.

However the police officials said they worked hard to ensure all reports were followed up and homophobic hate crimes were dealt with effectively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you'd like to know more, you can find stories related to Study: Suicide rate high for Irish gay teens.

:( How sad....

Sometimes, I wonder what would make others bullies people that are different when I don't see them as being different...

Instend of looking MORE toward the outside of each person ( s ) , why not look what is inside the person's heart....This is what makes the world so hard to live in when people have to judge/bully/insult/etc toward another human being....

Take a look around us.....We are all people no matter what race,sex,etc we all are....

No wonder why people are ending up killing themselves because they can't get the same respect as everyone else gets....but, have to hurt them by taking away what really important inside of their hearts....

I pray that this world would become a better place to live and to love each and every one of us who lives in this world.....

No one should take a life away because someone felt they are not worth living , which is NOT true....

We all know we live in a cruel world where people are not likely to accept someone for who they are!

:(

:werd: i agree Angel -- very sad indeed -- the police there i dont think are being "effective" in dealing with homophobic hate crimes out there cuz it just sounds like the comment just seems impersonal as if they didnt care -- just said that for publicity and to lessen themselves from looking bad IMO

Yes, I agree with you Angel on that. We can't change people who insulted and bullies. Some people are just like that way out there. We cannot change the facts that there are some cold heart people who has no respect for any human being but themselves. If they look in the mirror and see for themselves what so perfect about themselves? I know the pain that lesbians/gays/Bis must be feeling to be insulted the way they are just because they have crushes on women, men, or both. Nothing wrong with that. We all have to learn that we have to accept people the way they are love them like a human being a person. not for what they are. It just makes me angry at the world today and how people can treated other like trash. even through they have no idea how hurt it can be for the way they treat each others or to others. People are People! No matter what they do in their lives. We don't have to be cruel or hateful cuz of what they believe in and what they want in their lives. That why they make laws today so people can be civil and peaceful to each person that is on earth living life. Life is too short to be so angry, hateful most of all cruel. Let's Love each Other, care for eachother , be there for eachother , respect eachother, Be their friend. That isn't so hard is it?

TOO many hetros don't see that as a aspect of respect, there are too many ingorants all over the world, it would be nice if we could all get along and stop putting others down cuz life's too short to let anyone end a life cuz of the constant verbal abuses and physical ones too.

TOO many can't see to reason to help one another show word of encouragements, raised by thier family to put them down shows they do not understand how to be accepting in all ways races , creed, sexuality, and what have you. Its indeed sad, peer pressures has deffy raise questions to how we are raised in life. it's very sad to see anyone to try to commit suicide, granted true i have attempted sucide on many numerous of times, but relize in the end i do have family and friends who do care about me, and not just cuz of negtive pressures. they also understand my whole being of life.

i do hope someday poeple will wake up and stop being negtive and start being postive and help another in life trying times.

wow I never know about Irish people's heart to heart about gay issues. I hope it went fix it well for them and stupid cops (oops)

It's not just in Ireland, but all over the world, I'm sure, even America. Some gay teens have committed suicide in high school because they can't accept all the bullying going on against them, and nobody knows that they are gay/lesbian. They feel forced to tell their parents about it, but in the same time they are afraid to be disowned or kicked out of family. It is a lot of pressure to go through. When one is an adult, the family already knows and friends accept that the person is gay, etc... so the quasi support system is already there. It's a lot different from high school time.

Back