Student Loan

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't find the right catagory.

Which loan does your son or daughter use ? I was checking on http://www.fafsa.ed.gov It will take 45 days to approval.

I am trying to avoid to co-signer because the credit score will be going down. I did not want to co-signer any application for the student loan.

Voc Reh would pay the tuition for the Deaf students but not the hearing. It apparently makes not sense to me. Deaf student collect Social Security check and Voc Rehb support.

It makes me so mad !! I can see the hearing students are very frustrated to apply the finance aid and student loan to get some tuition for the college.

Sabrina said:
It makes me so mad !! I can see the hearing students are very frustrated to apply the finance aid and student loan to get some tuition for the college.

The hearing people can apply for many things, especially for scholarships. When I was in high school, I was encouraged to apply for scholarships because of my excellent GPA (3,86), but I found out that they preferred to give the scholarships to other hearing people because they knew I could get money from the DVR.

I've used Federal Stafford loan, both with unsubsidized and subsidized interest through FAFSA. It really helps a lot when one gets an subsidized federal student loan! It is when the government takes up the burden of paying the interest for your Stafford loan from a particular semester or two, after you qualify for that kind of loan. That's what you want if you can't get support from VR or scholarships.

Have you considered grants, scholarships, some kind of federal work/study program? I agree co-signing would put you in a vulnerable position financially. Your kid gotta take responsibility for his own education. Take part time jobs, particpate in work/study programs, apply for scholarships, etc etc. My dad taught me that valuable lesson. I've never been on SSI when I was in college.

I've had limited VR support, and I can't complain about that. I paid something like $1,000 to $3,000 every semester out of my own pocket and the rest was paid by scholarships, grants, and loans.

I've managed to pay off the rest of my student loan a year ago.. hurrah!

Understood clearly. BUT when my kids grow up I have to fork their college education, pffft! No difference anyway. Many of them thinks deafies got away easily. Not so! That is because deafies usually have limited opportunities when they leave school world, comparing to hearing people who could easily get higher paid jobs than deafies. So therefore they should be able to recover the cost of tuition easier than deafies or other disablities.
All I can say, in our world.... there is NOTHING that is fair in any way!

Sabrina said:

Back