Speech Language and ASL (CI Users)

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
During your experience of being a Cochlear implant user, Have you learned to developed speech? or Have you already had speech development before getting a CI,? And Do you still uses ASL while being a Cochlear implant user? Have you uses ASL before the Cochlear implant occur, but decide to drop ASL after getting a Cochlear implant?

In bold= Explain your reasons. Thank-you! ;)

I already have speech development before getting CI but after getting CI, I am continuing to improve my speech because it is different as night and day to before and after CI. I am planning on enrolling in Aural and Speech Rehablition soon.

I have used TC before CI and continue to use TC afterward. I see no plans to drop TC (any sign language)

I have some friends who were afraid I will ignore. I told them when I see them, I will continue to use ASL with them which I am very happy to do.

(TC = total communicatin; SEE PSE ASL Singed English MIME etc..)

Excellent question! Can't wait to read what the others have to report from their experiences! Boult, as usual, you give us a lot of valuable information.
:popcorn:

Boult said:
I already have speech development before getting CI but after getting CI, I am continuing to improve my speech because it is different as night and day to before and after CI. I am planning on enrolling in Aural and Speech Rehablition soon.

I have used TC before CI and continue to use TC afterward. I see no plans to drop TC (any sign language)

I have some friends who were afraid I will ignore. I told them when I see them, I will continue to use ASL with them which I am very happy to do.

(TC = total communicatin; SEE PSE ASL Singed English MIME etc..)

Thanks Boult for sharing, ;) I love reading your posts and getting the knowledge of your experience. One more thing what is PSE and Singed English MIME?

Cheri said:
Thanks Boult for sharing, ;) I love reading your posts and getting the knowledge of your experience. One more thing what is PSE and Singed English MIME?

PSE - Pidgin Signed English a bridge between ASL and English. similar to Signed English.

Signed English is a simpler form of SEE1 SEE2 it is like ASL in english order.

MIME - like a body language to describe what happened. If I want to tell you how I got the jacket. I will stand up and tell you where the jacket ver there. then I will show you that I am walking (but no moving at all) as jacket get closer closer then I will show you that I am touching the jacket but jacket is not visible. I will hold up a invisible jacket and will perform 'putting on jacket" act such like that you know ever see a MIME in person? all black with white glove and white makeup on their face? pretending to throw you a lasso and tries to rope in? Actually the word should be "Pantomime" (Mime artist or pantomimist, a person who represents actions, character or mood using only gestures and movements rather than words, or the artform that they practice.)

I would refer to this Wiki for all Manually Coded English types.

and this Wiki will explain what Total Communication is..

I have done pantomiming before when I was taking theatre courses at NTID. I loves watching pantomime shows growing up.

hope that helps :)

Thanks Boult.

I do know what Total Communication is, I've been in that program at school before, which using ASL and spoken language (speak) 'Mainstream program with interpreters.' ;)

Cheri said:
Thanks Boult.

I do know what Total Communication is, I've been in that program at school before, which using ASL and spoken language (speak) 'Mainstream program with interpreters.' ;)
Welcome and yep :)

Cheri said:
During your experience of being a Cochlear implant user, Have you learned to developed speech? or Have you already had speech development before getting a CI,? And Do you still uses ASL while being a Cochlear implant user? Have you uses ASL before the Cochlear implant occur, but decide to drop ASL after getting a Cochlear implant? Thank-you! ;)
Good question. The replies will be very informative..

Speaking for my daughter;
She was born deaf, so she had no speech. HA's did not help her. She aquired speech with CI.
She knows sign and still uses it to people of which she know understand it. She's using less of it and chooses herself to speak. When the message is not understood, she'll add sign. We have no intention to drop signlanguage but still, the main focus will be speech.
By the way, she also reads / continues to read lips.

I was always HOH and learned speech via therapy. My speech was fully developed and virtually indistinquishable (not perfect mind you but most didn't notice) from a hearing person by the time I was in my twenties. I never learned sign of any sort. I always gravitated to the hearing world.

Going from a HA for over four decades to a CI was just like switching units for me. I kept on going with speech and not needing any sign. I admit that the CI saved my speech (your speech is always a reflection how well you hear whether assisted or not) as my hearing was getting worst with HA prior to the CI.

I was born hearing and could hear until I was 9 - I already had learned how to speak, and going deaf never stopped that. I learned ASL as a teen, and used it a lot when I when to RIT/NTID but used it less and less after leaving. Since getting my CI I don't sign - not because I don't want to but because all my friends/family here are hearing, and there's no need to sign.

I already had speech but it wasnt clear as I wasnt able to hear myself. With a CI, I think my speech improved. I could hear myself laughing out loud or stuttering or if my voice is quiet or loud so that made myself more self conscious :)

I still use PSE regardless - it is not that I am against ASL - it is just that English is my mother tongue and I stumble over translating into ASL so that is where I make many errors. Thus, I stick with PSE so I could use both English and ASL

My story is similar to Cloggy's, my daughter did not have speech before her CI. She was born with a profound deafness. She talks and does not sign yet but we are in the midst of looking into sign language classes.

kayla123 said:
My story is similar to Cloggy's, my daughter did not have speech before her CI. She was born with a profound deafness. She talks and does not sign yet but we are in the midst of looking into sign language classes.

How old is your daughter? If you don't mind me asking. :)

I had TC before my implant which i speak, sign(PSE and ASL), and lipreading similar to boult had.

I don't even plan to drop what i'm still doing now. i enjoy both worlds. i still Hang with deaf culture, hang with Deafies, and sign to my son, beautiful ONG, and myself (yeah i'm weird)
however i am around mostly with hearing world my job, shopping, etc etc.. i'm sure everyone's like me heh?
I'm also planning on taking aurual(sp?) and speech rehab.. but its kinda pricy yet 1 or 2 season is enough :eek: Just wanted to do that to improve my skills
i remembered after implant my 's' sounds are much better when i speak 's' sounds such as "sucks" yeah i always say "sucks" at work calling people "you suck at that" whole recieving crews call eachother sucks.. so its kinda fun ;)

Cheri

Cheri,

Since you started this topic..
How do you feel about all the information?

Have you heared anything new??

Did you get a new perspective?

I'm going off my experience with my daughter getting a CI.
She is already learning to use speech. She says "up", and she says "mmmm" for milk, and a hard "P" sound for soda pop or popcorn. She was always very vocal, even before the CI. But now it is more directed, more purposeful. We still use sign. I learned PSE as a teen, but am starting top learn some asl now too. She still signs, and is continuing to learn more sign. In my opinion, no matter how well her speech improves, no matter how perfect her speech becomes, she's still deaf. At night, while swimming, and in the bath, she can't hear a thing. She still needs a way to communicate during those times.
Also, with my mom and I, when we're sick or tired, we prefer to sign - and we're hearing! :laugh2:

ThreeLittleBear said:
She is already learning to use speech. She says "up", and she says "mmmm" for milk, and a hard "P" sound for soda pop or popcorn. She was always very vocal, even before the CI. But now it is more directed, more purposeful. We still use sign. I learned PSE as a teen, but am starting top learn some asl now too. She still signs, and is continuing to learn more sign. In my opinion, no matter how well her speech improves, no matter how perfect her speech becomes, she's still deaf. At night, while swimming, and in the bath, she can't hear a thing. She still needs a way to communicate during those times.
Also, with my mom and I, when we're sick or tired, we prefer to sign - and we're hearing! :laugh2:
That's great to hear. I know how you feel. My daughter has been using it since nov 2004 when she was 2+ years.

I've put some experiences in a topic. You could do the same.
(Click in my signature to go there.. or in this post - here. )

ThreeLittleBear said:
:thumb: that's great to hear that.. and I know I agree with your last statement :D

Back