Special Education Teacher in SC

krparker

Reaction score
Hello!
I am a special education teacher in SC. I teach elementary students with a variety of disabilities and impairments. This coming year, I am expecting a student with hearing impairments (prior hearing, but due to accident, now hearing impaired) and thought by joining the group, that it would give me insights in hearing impairments.
I am also participating in a special education course on disabilities and would like to request your input on hearing impairments in adulthood. I would love to hear from you so I can include your feelings/attitudes/opinions in my research. If you could help with the following questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

What experiences/feelings did you have after becoming hearing impaired?
How do you communicate with others?
What props, if any, due you utilize when going places to help you communicate?
If possible, describe experiences/feelings/attitudes about first time going places (ex. shopping, restaurant) after becoming hearing impaired.
What positive experiences have you had in your education? What helped you the most?

Thanks so much in advance,
Karen Parker :angel:

Hi Karen, Welcome to AD!

Hi Karen,
Welcome to AD!
I live in Southern California( in Orange County).
i was in speical ed in Jr. High and High school.
I hated it!
Anyway, thats neet your getting a deaf student.
You total communication with the student, like reading, writing and most important sign language.
Enjoy your stay on AD!
Margie
Dir, of Communication Services
OCDAC

Thanks!

Thanks, Margie!
Yes, through this course I am taking, I have learned a lot about Total Communication. I'm really excited about this coming year. My daughter is also prone to hearing impairment due to her disabilites, so it will help me in the future!
Thanks again,
Karen :angel:

Karen, Welcome! I am VERY impressed by you posting here.
First of all, the correct terminlogy is deaf/hoh rather then hearing impaired.
Is your student deaf? Do they sign?
What experiences/feelings did you have after becoming hearing impaired?
How do you communicate with others?
What props, if any, due you utilize when going places to help you communicate?
If possible, describe experiences/feelings/attitudes about first time going places (ex. shopping, restaurant) after becoming hearing impaired.
What positive experiences have you had in your education? What helped you the most?
Have been hoh since I was conceived so can't help you out there.
I use speech, speechreading and Sign.
No props whatosever
I have a voice that most people can understand but I do sound "deaf" In resturaunts I usually point and say what I want.
For kids with disabilties....I think it's important to have expose to other kids with disabilties...I can vividly remember when I was little, thinking that I was the only kid in the WORLD who was dhh....what helped most? notetakers..
You may want to get a subsciption to World Around You, which is a magazine especially for dhh teens.

:wave: :welcome: Hello Karen and welcome to the wonderful world of AllDeaf. It's nice having you on board. Have fun posting on AD.

I myself am a CODA, both my parent's are deaf. So, if you need any information, please feel free to ask me anything anytime.

Look forward to your postings :angel: Have a good one!!

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I will also check into the magazine! I appreciate your ideas!
:angel:

Hi Karen and welcome to AD. Good to have a special education teacher on board! I became deaf at age 7 after being ill with spinal meningitis. Went to a school for the deaf, and then to Gallaudet. I have a son, age 11, who is autistic. Thus, I'm working with a team of special ed teachers much like yourself, to give my son the proper tools he needs to function at school and in the community at large. My personal experiences with deafness isn't all that bad except that I used to play the piano quite well before I became deaf and can no longer do that. The main issue I have is gaining access to public events where there are no interpreters for the deaf. It just breaks my heart when I see an announcement in the newspaper for an event that is "open to the public and everyone is welcome & encouraged to come" yet I know it doesn't apply to me becuz there's no sign interpreters. Ah well. I've written many letters to the Editor of newspapers and posted everywhere about the principle of equal access for all, but not much has changed thus far. I'm hopeful, though.

Hi krparker,
I, too, am a special ed. teacher as well as being latent HoH (also due to an accident). I think the questions deafdyke was asking are extremely pertinent to your situation. What is in the IEP concerning language acquisition for your student? That will be the most important factor in determining how you will proceed.

Back