:spam: control ideas

diehardbiker

Reaction score
Hi, whadda all think of this idea that just popped up my mind. I know it is not convient for new members to drop by and say hello, but this :spam: popped up almost every night. I hate these spammers to the hell... So, one way to control spam is how? Every new members who register for the first time, who may want to post something, have to have go though the mod first for approval before posting in public. That way, spammer can't get around! After specific amount of posting, that we all know this new member is not spammer, then we can let new member post anytime without delays.

This was intended to get spammer out of AD!

Any inputs? If ya all screm "Agree" Im sure Alex will listen!

Umm sound a great idea DHB! Same idea as Yahoo Group...they do ask couple of simple questions before approve.

I don't think so if AD have feature to protect members from spam.

Some forum I know, don't allow immediately posting from any new members, have to go though moderator first for approval before going on public. It worked so well for them, never seen spam there. If mod see new members with spam posting, just delete them right on spot. So spammer can't get though.

I don't think so if AD have feature to protect members from spam.

That's good idea, buddy :hug:
I think Alex should consider it. Of course, the choice is up to him.

I hate spammers :mad:

We are here for 'building' a nice 'family' :fingersx:

Hi, whadda all think of this idea that just popped up my mind. I know it is not convient for new members to drop by and say hello, but this :spam: popped up almost every night. I hate these spammers to the hell... So, one way to control spam is how? Every new members who register for the first time, who may want to post something, have to have go though the mod first for approval before posting in public. That way, spammer can't get around! After specific amount of posting, that we all know this new member is not spammer, then we can let new member post anytime without delays.

This was intended to get spammer out of AD!

Any inputs? If ya all screm "Agree" Im sure Alex will listen!

I don't see need of voting, because it is only a suggestion for Alex to consider to combat against spammer. I have seen some forum where new members who may want to post, they don't just post right away, they will be posted after moderator check them out before releasing for public. I am not saying that my idea applies to everybody. My idea only applies to newly registered members, temporarily restriction on posting by "waiting" period. I am sure after few posting, or specific length of time which the newly members shows they aren't spammer, and they become aware that it is against policy to post spam message.

What I see these spammers who post, their post number were anywhere between 1 and 5! This proves me one thing! They just register to become member ONLY to drop off :spam:. Enough of this garbage!

No poll to vote?

That's exactly it. There are so many members screaming, "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!"

Doesn't this consitute as freedom of speech, too? Even some members that do not post often are not spammers, but they dont have more than a few posts... to deny others the right to become members and not to have to post, is their right.

Not all new members are spammers...

While I agree with DreamDeaf on not all new members are spammers and beside, everytime I see a spam going on in this forum, I press the report button so the moderators and the owners are aware of it, and they do removed it... It doesn't bother me at all since I know that it will be taken care of once it's being reported...

I personally think it will take too much time waiting for the owner to respond to a member for an approval, after all this forum is open to the public , and anyone is welcome to join, soo if they come in here to cause problems or posting spams, then Im sure they'll either be banned or removed from this forum..I :dunno: but the bottom line is, it will be taken care of and that's all it matters...

You take it the wrong way, I only mean apply to new members that is maybe 30 days or less, after that, they can post without restriction. Get it??? For example after 10 posting that the new members shows no spam, then this new member is free to post without restrictions. That is how this gets spammer out of the forum. Plus this would send message to spammer, GO AWAY!!!

That's exactly it. There are so many members screaming, "FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!"

Doesn't this consitute as freedom of speech, too? Even some members that do not post often are not spammers, but they dont have more than a few posts... to deny others the right to become members and not to have to post, is their right.

Not all new members are spammers...

You take it the wrong way, I only mean apply to new members that is maybe 30 days or less, after that, they can post without restriction. Get it??? For example after 10 posting that the new members shows no spam, then this new member is free to post without restrictions. That is how this gets spammer out of the forum. Plus this would send message to spammer, GO AWAY!!!

30 days or less? Holy smokey :eek: I'm starting to feel really bad for them...

I dont think I took it the wrong way - I checked your original post and it does not say what you are saying - that is why I always try to make sure I have everything down before I post a new thread - and even then I may miss a point or two.

I would have just said what you said without saying that I took it the wrong way - you could have said, let me expand on my point, let me clarify what I want to say, let me add another way, and so on forth.

JMHO.

Okay, maybe I should have used term "temporary restriction", that way to show that this new member isn't spammer. Of course there will be explaination why there is temporary, let new member know that they will have freedom without having mod check on them. I am sure everybody will appreciate and show new members that we are spam free forum.

I dont think I took it the wrong way - I checked your original post and it does not say what you are saying - that is why I always try to make sure I have everything down before I post a new thread - and even then I may miss a point or two.

I would have just said what you said without saying that I took it the wrong way - you could have said, let me expand on my point, let me clarify what I want to say, let me add another way, and so on forth.

JMHO.

Maybe I am naive but, first, do we have a definition of SPAM? Suppose tomorrow, I announce/post that my newest book, "Hearing Aids and Handcuffs" is now on sale?

Maybe I am naive but, first, do we have a definition of SPAM? Suppose tomorrow, I announce/post that my newest book, "Hearing Aids and Handcuffs" is now on sale?

Of course, you wouldn't be a spammer.

I see that SPAM is complicated issue..
Anyway, DHB is right, mods and Alex should think about this issue.

It's up to Alex and the moderators that's all I am going to say on this subject.

:giggle: @Tousi!

i just happen to agree with DHB.. my own reason why because you will have to look at the deaf world itself.. why it's suffering us with too many scammers go thru our necks, ENOUGH is ENOUGH but they don't want to pay the respect.. so it's our turn to block them out from our deaf world.

It's best way to find a way to prevent scammers, spams. I know it's hard but maybe alex should consider to put Hacker Prevation or Spam filter installed with alex's server.

Spam filter won't work at all because these idiots are too clever to find way around, so in order to get hard control is to limit new members temporarily by restrict them post and every new members posting must be approved before they are release to show them they aren't spammer, once mod sees that this new members turns out not to be spammer, then restriction will be lifted. Most spammer tend to forget their account after few days in fear of getting caught by law. That is one sure fire way to keep spammers away.

i just happen to agree with DHB.. my own reason why because you will have to look at the deaf world itself.. why it's suffering us with too many scammers go thru our necks, ENOUGH is ENOUGH but they don't want to pay the respect.. so it's our turn to block them out from our deaf world.

It's best way to find a way to prevent scammers, spams. I know it's hard but maybe alex should consider to put Hacker Prevation or Spam filter installed with alex's server.

Back