Slideshow to view on TV

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Am getting information for my parents - they want to create a slideshow to be viewed on their TV with pictures they've taken and scanned. I know how to do one to be viewed on your computer (e.g. either in Flash or Windows Movie Maker, etc., there's tons of software out there for that.) But they want to be able to view this slideshow on their TV. Is different software needed? And, they want to be able to put captions on all the photos! (Without actually writing/typing on the photos in Photoshop, etc.) They are very inexperienced with computers and anything I can tell them is "too much" for them, so any quick-and-easy solutions out there? Thanks!

Am getting information for my parents - they want to create a slideshow to be viewed on their TV with pictures they've taken and scanned. I know how to do one to be viewed on your computer (e.g. either in Flash or Windows Movie Maker, etc., there's tons of software out there for that.) But they want to be able to view this slideshow on their TV. Is different software needed? And, they want to be able to put captions on all the photos! (Without actually writing/typing on the photos in Photoshop, etc.) They are very inexperienced with computers and anything I can tell them is "too much" for them, so any quick-and-easy solutions out there? Thanks!

I'm assuming your parents want to hook up the computer to tv to show off the pictures. simple - windows does have its own picture software called "WINDOWS PICTURE AND FAX VIEWER"

1. go to a picture folder
2. double click on any picture
3. in that program - click on "START SLIDE SHOW" (a tiny icon at the bottom of the picture) or press F11
4. it will take up your whole screen and will automatically switch to next picture within 5?? seconds.
5. To manually go to next picture - you need to press an arrow key (forward or backward) or click the mouse to go to next picture.
6. Press ESC to end slideshow

about captions... sorry I don't know an easy solution for that except to use Photoshop.

The TV is not even in the same room, so that doesn't sound like an option. They also want to be able to take this slideshow on CD to other friends' houses. So the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer doesn't sound like a viable option. They used to have a slide projector and are now scanning in everything instead, so they still want to be able to do slideshows somehow.

And no way about Photoshop - I would have to do all this work and we are talking like 1500 pictures !!!!

The TV is not even in the same room, so that doesn't sound like an option. They also want to be able to take this slideshow on CD to other friends' houses. So the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer doesn't sound like a viable option. They used to have a slide projector and are now scanning in everything instead, so they still want to be able to do slideshows somehow.

And no way about Photoshop - I would have to do all this work and we are talking like 1500 pictures !!!!

ah.... a slideshow on CD/DVD.... hmmm yea there are tons of programs that do what you want but i don't know which one are good. i've never done it.

You're in luck AlleyCat!

Have you ever heard of Nero burning rom utility?
The newer editions have this side util called "Nero Vision"
What it does, is addresses your concerns 100% that you've asked.
I saw your question, and was like, there's the answer, and it's totally easy for any decent computer illiterate newbie to get the experience on how to use it.

The only problem is that Nero isn't free.. you have to purchase it or "obtain it" through other means. If you'd like to get a (imagine myself air quoting my fingers here) "copy" somehow, PM me and I'd totally be willing to send you a CD copy out of goodwill.

It also costs an arm or leg like $300 or something just to buy the actual software.

Here's some pics, should be self explanatory.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks so much, Naisho. Am looking forward to trying this out! And then will set it up for my folks so they can make their own slideshows. :)

Back