Skype interviews and interpreters?

DeafDucky

Reaction score
Not sure what category this fits in but here's good...

Have a question... if you have a Skype interview but need/want an interpreter how can this be done? I know one option is to ask them to provide one THERE in the room and I view via Skype but I'm not sure how that would work if the group is situated kind of far away (thus causing me to have trouble reading any signs) or if it's even possible on rather short notice (less than a week). I tend to voice for myself but having an interpreter does make things easier on me to understand what's going on more fully than without. The other option is hope that they'd be willing to use the text feature if needed but I don't know how that works with the video portion (I'd prefer to have both up at the same time meaning not have to switch back and forth).

Gotta love technology lol. On one hand I like the idea of Skype interviews on the other it is challenging because I have a harder time lipreading (well that's moot since I suck big time with it anyway).

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.
Thanks for readin'!

Another option is to have the interpreter stand behind, to the side of your computer screen in your room. The terp would listen to the voice of the person speaking with a headset. You could speak back yourself or use the terp to speak thru the headset mic. Make sure you set up with plenty of time.

Short notice could be a problem.

Interesting option and one I didn't think of. yep as you said the timing could be a problem as many interpreting services/agencies require I think 1-2 weeks notice (it's partly why I never had an interpreter at my last job. Meetings were ALWAYS moved around at last minute...).

Thanks Reba!

Is there anyway like hand outs to do a 3-way conversation?

I think that would be an amazing tool for interviews you can dress nice have a nice smile and sign away on your interview

Back