'Seeing shoes' offer help to blind

Heath

Reaction score
HONG KONG (AFP) - Guide dogs may soon be out of a job thanks to a high-tech pair of glasses and shoes invented by Hong Kong scientists that help blind people navigate the trickiest of terrain, a report said.

The researchers at Hong Kong Polytechnic University say the glasses and shoes, which have a built-in computer, can detect objects within close proximity through echo location then send a vibrating warning signal to the wearer.

"Ultrasonic waves are sent out and when they bounce back they are interpreted by a receiver.

"Once an obstacle is detected the shoe will vibrate, perhaps increasing in intensity as the obstacle gets closer," Research Institute of Innovative Products and Technologies director Wallace Leung Woon-fong was quoted as telling the Sunday Morning Post.

The shoes will use GPS (Global Positioning System) to tell the wearer where he is and which direction he is going in.

"The shoe will be able to detect steps, holes in the road and obstacles within a five cm (two-inch) vertical distance," Leung said.

The innovations are based on the award winning "electronic bat ears" sonic glasses developed by the university's Professor He Jufang, which use similar technology to relay to the wearer information such as size and distance of an object.

But some blind people expressed reservations about the inventions.

"There are so many bumps in Hong Kong's road. If I wear the shoes I will end up shaking and vibrating all day," the Post quoted Chow Wing-cheung as saying.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060806/hl_afp/healthblindnesstechnologyhongkong

VamPyroX said:
What about deaf people?

This is more of FYI for those who have family or relatives who are blind and some Deaf families do have a blind family member so I posted this more for FYI.

I rather to stay with the dogs bec I am a die hard dog lover. Again I am very happy to be "gay" too. :dance:

HONG KONG (AFP) - Guide dogs may soon be out of a job thanks to a high-tech pair of glasses and shoes invented by Hong Kong scientists that help blind people navigate the trickiest of terrain, a report said.

The researchers at Hong Kong Polytechnic University say the glasses and shoes, which have a built-in computer, can detect objects within close proximity through echo location then send a vibrating warning signal to the wearer.

"Ultrasonic waves are sent out and when they bounce back they are interpreted by a receiver.

"Once an obstacle is detected the shoe will vibrate, perhaps increasing in intensity as the obstacle gets closer," Research Institute of Innovative Products and Technologies director Wallace Leung Woon-fong was quoted as telling the Sunday Morning Post.

The shoes will use GPS (Global Positioning System) to tell the wearer where he is and which direction he is going in.

"The shoe will be able to detect steps, holes in the road and obstacles within a five cm (two-inch) vertical distance," Leung said.

The innovations are based on the award winning "electronic bat ears" sonic glasses developed by the university's Professor He Jufang, which use similar technology to relay to the wearer information such as size and distance of an object.

But some blind people expressed reservations about the inventions.

"There are so many bumps in Hong Kong's road. If I wear the shoes I will end up shaking and vibrating all day," the Post quoted Chow Wing-cheung as saying.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060806/hl_afp/healthblindnesstechnologyhongkong

And what about will it work on DEAF/BLIND?

Speaking for myself, I'm deafblind and don't need a pair of glasses or vibrating shoes to warn me about obstacles, stairs, etc. My guide dog or white cane (and my own two feet for that matter) do that just fine from a longer distance than 2 inches. :)

GPS technology is already available to the blind and deafblind via the BrailleNote and PacMate (PDAs for the blind).

These shoes can't be used in the snow or rain which means they would have serious limitations for blind people who live in such climates.

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with hear again on this one. I use both a dog and a long cane when my dog is out running freely. Those shoes sound like a silly idea to me.

Back