second hearing aid ???

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
hi friends.

I'm highly hoh and wear one hearing aid and would like to get two soon..

If you have any experience, can you say that a second aid is great for better speech understanding and directionality ?

Do I really need two hearing aids or Can I get enough benefit from only one aid?

I myself used to only have 1 aid, but then i got 2. 2 are better than 1!!! You have no idea! I would def. go for it, it is a great investment!!!! Speech sounds better, clearer, and more even (coz it's coming from 2 sides now, not just one) I highly recommend it!!!!!!

Highlands said:
hi friends.

I'm highly hoh and wear one hearing aid and would like to get two soon..

If you have any experience, can you say that a second aid is great for better speech understanding and directionality ?

Do I really need two hearing aids or Can I get enough benefit from only one aid?

I used only 1 for about 15 yrs. then went to two, i think in my case that might have been one reason that i had problems with speech, even tho my most recent aides were everything they thought should actually give me good results. Go for two, but remember, just like older poeple who've never heard sound stuggle with CI's if you've been unaided in that one ear for a very long time and had one in the other ear for a long time you may not have great results that you'd expect. But you don't know til you try..... (I have CI in the one that was unaided for years and it's much better) :)

Has your second ear been exposed to auditory stimulation at all?

I didn't get my second hearing aid until the age of 10 and I never really got as much benefit from that ear even though the hearing in it was actually better than in the other ear which had a hearing aid in it from an early age.

If you decide to go ahead with it make sure that you get a trial period so that you can return the hearing aid if you aren't happy with it. A hearing aid in even an unstimulated ear might still give you some benefit in terms of sound location and environmental noise, especially if you are doing well with the other ear. I kept my second hearing aid for that reason even though the speech perception wasn't too hot.

if you decide to get second hearing aide, I suggest that you ask your local VR to pay for it.

jag said:
I used only 1 for about 15 yrs. then went to two, i think in my case that might have been one reason that i had problems with speech, even tho my most recent aides were everything they thought should actually give me good results. Go for two, but remember, just like older poeple who've never heard sound stuggle with CI's if you've been unaided in that one ear for a very long time and had one in the other ear for a long time you may not have great results that you'd expect. But you don't know til you try..... (I have CI in the one that was unaided for years and it's much better) :)

my brain haven't been using my unaided left ear since 1989. it's such a long time . but I hope my left ear can provide my brain with great benefit for speech understanding. besides my right ear is worse than my unaided ear.

Thanks for the info , btw.

R2D2 said:
Has your second ear been exposed to auditory stimulation at all?

I didn't get my second hearing aid until the age of 10 and I never really got as much benefit from that ear even though the hearing in it was actually better than in the other ear which had a hearing aid in it from an early age.

If you decide to go ahead with it make sure that you get a trial period so that you can return the hearing aid if you aren't happy with it. A hearing aid in even an unstimulated ear might still give you some benefit in terms of sound location and environmental noise, especially if you are doing well with the other ear. I kept my second hearing aid for that reason even though the speech perception wasn't too hot.

I want a second aid especially for sound location!. With one aid, currently, I can hear environmental sounds but I cannot understand where sounds are coming.. I miss that feeling !!!

I only wear one. I don't wear a HA in my left ear, since the HA does nothing for the left ear. Very profoundly deaf in left ear, I have never heard anything with a HA in left.

HA in one ear is work fine for deaf people.

Highlands said:
I want a second aid especially for sound location!. With one aid, currently, I can hear environmental sounds but I cannot understand where sounds are coming.. I miss that feeling !!!
If you want two, I would encourage that. go for it! as long both HA is relatively new, great! It is great to hear in both ear than one. It's up to you!

Back