school systems suck in my opinion

deafman6975

Reaction score
when i was growing up in the school system they put everyone with a problem or issiue in one class . (they called it special edd) alls that did was labled kids so that the bully's could pick on them. and the quot; normal kids would know who not to hang with [ sheeeee it might reion your reputation] ... and hell i never even heard of deaf kids or adulds until i lost my hearing in one of my ears when i was 12 yrs old in 1981.. i was told i had social issiuses;; speach problems; i walked with a crutch on my shoulder; and then an anger problem ''' yeh that was a good one'' as an adult i've come to the conclusion that the only reason they said all those things was because i use to beat up every and anyone i could that i saw or heard of picking on someone less fortionet, handicap,or otherwise less capible of taken up for their selves. i'm not proud of fighting so much but i am glad for every punch i gave for the reason.. i too was one of those kidds that just had a different problem . but no one knew . so about the school system 99.9 percent of my fights happened in school.. now i understand things have changed and i'm getting old yeh right lol things aint changed and i'm not old ... i watch a kidd get beat up at the same school i went to about a mounth ago ./ he was alittle over weight . my son told me that all the kid was saying was how he couldn't fight and didn't want to fight but he got beat up anyhow ... i jump out my car an in an instent sec i realized i couldn't do nothing about it,,,, oh and did i add that a cop was directing traffic at the other end of the school when all this took place . ok my point is this we pay taxes hearing, deaf, prity , ugly, small , big ,rich or pour... why in the blue name in hell; can't we have our schools teach our children culture. how to get along. how to read , how to sign, how to tell the difference ./ i leave you with this [ difference] just because you can read, sign, speak, have money , have no money, drive , cain't drive , walk , cain't walk .see ,or can't see .... doesn't make you any better or worse then anyone else .. it just makes you different ... so i say lets clean up our school system. and make it to where a child can get his or her eduction no matter what their needs are .. we sepperate to much dam,,,, :cuddle: :hug:

when i was growing up in the school system they put everyone with a problem or issiue in one class . (they called it special edd) alls that did was labled kids so that the bully's could pick on them. and the quot; normal kids would know who not to hang with
They still do....that's why mainstream mainstreaming doesn't work....b/c it assumes that ALL kids with special needs need the same sort of services!

deafman6975 said:
when i was growing up in the school system they put everyone with a problem or issiue in one class . (they called it special edd) alls that did was labled kids so that the bully's could pick on them. and the quot; normal kids would know who not to hang with

Well, special ed. still exists in school now, (I'm in hs) although not all kids with "learning problems" are put in the same class all day, there are resource rooms for kids who have learning issues to take tests, have a study hall, etc. I am a tutor/ta in that class, and I go in and out all the time. I have had a few comments from ppl like, "You go to the resource room???" (I'm a pretty good student, I don't have any LD's or other "issues" so me going to the resource room doesn't make sense to them). People are more accepting than they used to be, at least at my school. I mean LD's or other problems, (no deafies at my hs, can't comment of that) are fairly accepted.

deafman6975 said:
when i was 12 yrs old in 1981.. i was told i had social issiuses;; speach problems; i walked with a crutch on my shoulder; and then an anger problem
Okay, now I know you said you lost your hearing later, but why is it such a shock that many deaf kids seem to have behavior issues? You know what the reason is? Communication, or lack thereof. 90% of deaf kids have hearing parents, 70% of those parents don't sign. Know how it is said, kids go through a period called the "terrible two's," where they throw tantrums and hurt other people and things? This is because they can't communicate their needs and wants, their spoken language ability does not match their needs. That is why babysign has become so popular, because kids can sign sooner than they speak. Anyway, many deaf kids at 5,6, 8, 10, etc. can't communicate their needs and wants to their parents, and sometimes teachers and peers. I can only imagine the frustration!

deafman6975 said:
.. i watch a kidd get beat up at the same school i went to about a mounth ago ./ he was alittle over weight . my son told me that all the kid was saying was how he couldn't fight and didn't want to fight but he got beat up anyhow ... i jump out my car an in an instent sec i realized i couldn't do nothing about it,,,, oh and did i add that a cop was directing traffic at the other end of the school
Ha! (To the cop thing, not the fight
deafman6975 said:
ok my point is this... ... why in the blue name in hell; can't we have our schools teach our children culture. how to get along. how to read , how to sign, how to tell the difference ./ i leave you with this [ difference] just because you can read, sign, speak, have money , have no money, drive , cain't drive , walk , cain't walk .see ,or can't see .... doesn't make you any better or worse then anyone else ..

Amen! If only the whole world would think this way. I am not saying, however, that we should see everyone as the same! There are females and males, black people, asian ppl, white ppl, hispanic ppl, etc. Some people try and claim that everyone is the same, but THEY'RE NOT. Instead of trying to become color-blind, sex-blind, disability-blind, etc. which will never happen anyway, why don't we work on accepting the difference among people, and making the differences normal and okay? The problem with mainstreaming is that it is saying people with "disabilities" are all themsame, and that they all need the same services. The mainstreaming law was written for ppl in wheelchairs, and it dragged people with other "physical differences" along with it. Although the exposure of ppl with "disabilities" to "normal" ppl is good, it does not take into consideration the true needs of the mainstreamed childen. So many schools have "zero tolerance" policies with things like weapons, drugs, etc. (I've heard of ppl being suspended for having Tylenol on campus) and seem to have a similar rule with mainstreaming. Just because it works for one person, doesn't mean it works for all. Why isn't okay for dhh kids to learn sign and go to a deaf school? The school system is supposed to give children knowledge and information to help them live in the real world. A mainstream setting seems like the best way for children to get that knowledge. HOWEVER, there is so much knowledge that they may never get if they don't have teachers that they can communicate with, and peers who can teach them social behavior, and give them the much needed acceptance they will need to survive in the real world.
Okay, it's late, just my random thoughts. Bye....

but why is it such a shock that many deaf kids seem to have behavior issues? You know what the reason is? Communication, or lack thereof. 90% of deaf kids have hearing parents,
Well I think also that a lot of their parents still have issues accepting their kids the way they are.....I see SO many parents who are still stuck in the greiving phrase that they didn't have a "healthy normal" kid. Your kid is dhh....SO WHAT? It's not this huge ultimate tragedy for crying out loud.
Your child can still acheive....and it's going to be just a part of who they are!
Not the biggest part, but a part! They are still going to be just like anyone else!
And many dhh kids probaly have behavoir problems b/c they are too overprogrammed with therapy and formal learning situtions....Also it's probaly b/c of the fact that many dhh kids are abused by their parents...(especially orally trained kids)....

I feel the same way, because I am not LD and I go to resource 5x a week. I only have a very few friends that are LD, and it's very difficult to have normal people talk to me, because they thought I was slow outside the body, but they don't realize that I am very smart inside. Whenever I try to talk to a normal person at lunch, he/she IGNORES me immediately, just because I don't speak very well and that made me feel "left out", so I get frustrated. When I try to go through the tables, I yelled "EXCUSE ME! " and they were disrespectful and I don't like high school, but I have one more year (thank god) and I am doing my goals to get into my dream college at NTID...

I only have a very few friends that are LD, and it's very difficult to have normal people talk to me, because they thought I was slow outside the body, but they don't realize that I am very smart inside. Whenever I try to talk to a normal person at lunch, he/she IGNORES me immediately, just because I don't speak very well and that made me feel "left out", so I get frustrated.
Yeah, and MANY of the LD kids are more apathetic slacker dumbass types.
I remember....I didn't fit in with a lot of the LD kids b/c I was smart, and didn't really fit in with the smart kids b/c I was still not an out and out all-acheiver!

I understand the frustration there, but it is important to place a child with learning disablity in one special education classroom is because they need more attention and help than other kids in that school system, if that child was placed in mainstream along with other children, then that child wouldn't be able to learn or seek the attention or the help that child may need...

There are still special education classroom in the public school as today, is because it does help alot of children who has a learning disablity or any other kinds of disablity....

It is also important that each child learn what they need to learn before graduate from school, and being able to learn how to live on their own without depending on others, some may need the help from others but sometimes it does feel good doing things on your own...

For other kids who intend to bully on the special needed children, just cause they are placed in a special education class, then they're the one with the problem not the kids who are in that special classroom... Sometimes parents don't teach their bully kids that is not nice to tease, beaten or pick on other kids that are different', maybe some parents need to start going back to school and learn how to become a better parents by teaching their children to treat other kids just like you want to be treated....I had taught all my boys that becoming a bully is a big NO NO, and they know if I ever see them do that, they know I won't be pleased....

rjr2006 said:
I feel the same way, because I am not LD and I go to resource 5x a week. ..I don't like high school, but I have one more year (thank god) and I am doing my goals to get into my dream college at NTID...
Hang in there. I guarantee you, college is NOT like high school. (If it is, that means you picked the wrong college.) Just keep thinking of high school as a way to reach your college goal.

Too many people think that high school is the most important part of life. WRONG! It is just the first one step in life.

You are a man with a goal, and THAT is important. :thumb:

There was something like that in my junior high school. This was called behavior adjustment class. They would put kids who had short temper in that class. Those kids would get pissed off easily. Once, I was walking down the hallway. Suddenly, the door swung open and hit me. Out came the room was one guy who was pissed off at his teacher that he threw his desk across the room. Heh!

Back