research

audstudent

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am studying audiology. My class is doing some research on why the deaf community has negative perceptions of audiologist. Please give me some honest feedback. Thanks, audstudent

If you want my honest opinion, I ve always disliked audiologists. Ive had one beginning at age 16 months old and had to work with many different audiologists over the years. The experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Most of them were patronizing and cold. Audiologists deal with science and I felt like a guinea pig to them. I understand that they view deafness from a different perspective but it would help if they would study culture as well not just focus on science of hearing losses.

My recent audiologist is the one who helped me with my cochlear implant last year. He did a few mappings with me. Each time we had a mapping, he never believed in me and would insist that his way is right. I finally gave up and never went back for mapping because I felt I was never taken seriously by him despite his working in this field for over 30 years.

People who patronize me turns me off period.

My audiologist is at NTID and she's OK. I hate people patronising me, and I think it's normal for them to patronise a dhh person because they come from the perspective that deafness is a pathology rather than a state of being. In person they're like physical therapists or coaches, only for ears, and that's a major turnoff for me.

Still, if you want a hearing aid or a CI you need to deal with them, so the best you can do is get used to it.

My audi is cooollllllllll!!!!!!!!! He's amazing!!!!!! The one i had as a kid was an asshole, but the one i've got now is awesome. I like them

Back