relay oper

Chestnut

Reaction score
Heelllloooo I new, I wish to be a relay operator.

:welcome: to AD and enjoy your stay. There are relay operators in here and hope they will help you with what you need to know.

I want to know what if caller made threat call to hearing person. Do the relay oper find out who the caller phone number or report to police or remain confidentinally.

Welcome to AD. I am a relay operator myself. In fact, the only actively posting one here on AD.

Chestnut said:

:rofl: No you don't.

Well, pending the relay service you wish to work for. If you're looking for a job with your state's relay provider, go for it. Nothing but serving deaf users all day long, but don't think its going to be as rewarding as you expect. You will have your fill of unnappreciative users. If you're looking to work for an IP Relay company, don't expect to have many real calls. Prank and scam calls plague IP Relay services like you wouldn't believe.

Chestnut said:
I want to know what if caller made threat call to hearing person. Do the relay oper find out who the caller phone number or report to police or remain confidentinally.

Regardless of what happens, you are to remain detached and desensitized. Does not matter if its a threat to a hearing person, a bomb threat, a 911 call, a drug deal, or anything. It is my job to allow the call to happen and let it run its natural course. If you wrote down the deaf user's information, to turn in, and management found out, you would be fired in an instant, and possibly even face federal charges. FCC's regulations clearly state that relay operators are to act as "transparent phone wires," although this is very hard to do at times. Its because of the transparency and confidentiality clauses that scam calls are able to occur, because the operators are helpless to warn the victims.

Here is exactly what the FCC states regarding the RO's role:
(2) Confidentiality and conversation content.

(i) Except as authorized by section 705 of the Communications Act, 47 U.S.C. 605, CAs are prohibited from disclosing the content of any relayed conversation regardless of content, and with a limited exception for STS CAs, from keeping records of the content of any conversation beyond the duration of a call, even if to do so would be inconsistent with state or local law. STS CAs may retain information from a particular call in order to facilitate the completion of consecutive calls, at the request of the user. The caller may request the STS CA to retain such information, or the CA may ask the caller if he wants the CA to repeat the same information during subsequent calls. The CA may retain the information only for as long as it takes to complete the subsequent calls.

(ii) CAs are prohibited from intentionally altering a relayed conversation and, to the extent that it is not inconsistent with federal, state or local law regarding use of telephone company facilities for illegal purposes, must relay all conversation verbatim unless the relay user specifically requests summarization, or if the user requests interpretation of an ASL call. An STS CA may facilitate the call of an STS user with a speech disability so long as the CA does not interfere with the independence of the user, the user maintains control of the conversation, and the user does not object. Appropriate measures must be taken by relay providers to ensure that confidentiality of VRS users is maintained.

After reading this post, if you're still interested, or have any further questions feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help you.

G'day Chestnut,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll find what you came looking for.
Good luck with your goal.
Cheers! :wave:

Miss-Delectable said:
G'day Chestnut,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll find what you came looking for.
Good luck with your goal.
Cheers! :wave:

Thank u miss delectable

Hello :wave:

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here ;) ....

Chestnut said:

Its easy as reading TTY or AIM messaging and converting deafie hyroglphics to voice and vice versa. If ya got good wpm, reading, and speaking skills you can be trained easily to become one. And a good place to get a great start on reading deaf culture via the keyboards would be at either Deaf Universe in Talkcity or the Deaf Chat website.

And welcome to AD.

Welcome you stay AD and let's breath away...

Enjoy!

btw, few AD'ers who work Relay services here..

Excuse me, I'm not relay services (chuckles)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf Chestnut! Don't ever give up on your dreams, if all possible, you can acheive them! Anyhow, hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

Back