Real-time Captioning

Laungel

Reaction score
Anyone here use real-time captioners for school or work?
I'm curious about your experiences.

I loved my captioner during my undergrad years. She typed EVERYTHING and did it so quickly! I never was left in the dark about the jokes being made or side stories. The lag was only about 30 seconds so I still had time to jump in to the conversations.

I just started grad school in a new state and my captioner last semester was so slow that I had to have her fired. Then I did all the research to find a new captioning service. I never had a chance to meet with the new captioner beforehand to explain what I was wanting. This one only captions what she considers pertinent even though I told her I want to know EVERYTHING. The stories that help emphasize a point or the other student comments are left out. To make things worse, she is using a voice-recognition software. The lag time is horrible and each sentence comes up in a little window- but when the sentence ends it jumps into the main page making it really hard to keep up with where the words are on the page. To make it worse, I am HoH and use hearing/lip-reading to communicate. Now I have a person mumbling right next to me but the software cant keep up.

It's too late to find another captioner.

Back