questions, questions

sevendaisy

Reaction score
Hi I joined this group earlier today and have been reading thru some of the messages but havent seen anything on what i want to ask about.

A couple years ago I had a head injury (long stupid story) and because of it I lost my ability to hear most things in the lower ranges of sound (like low voices or low sounds) and the ability to hear myself talk. It did other things too like mess with my vision and balance but luckily now those two things have finally gotten better.

OK so what I want to ask about is this. I used to sing all the time in school choir and things like that and I remember I used to be good, on key and everything. And Ive never sung at home or around friends b/c I'm too self conscious. So I wanted to try out for this community theater thing here just cuz I am that bored. So I figured since I can't hear myself talk really anymore I'd do a tape of it to play back to myself. I did it and I cannot sing on key!! I kept trying to work on it and practice. Didnt work. Not only that but I cant keep the rhythm of the song or match my voice to the music. What in the he** is with this?? Can any of you hh people here or anyone say if this is something that goes along with hearing loss or if I just got really bad??

im sorry you can't sing like you use too.. i sing and i would be heartbroken if i couldn't sing. I know you must feel that way. You could take singing lessons and have the vocal couch train you to sing on key.

Well.......first of all, you gotta stop using aural feedback to sing......What you do is picture your voice as a straight line and then visablize it going up and down, up and down with the music!

What deafdyke says is very true... Being able to read music is a big help for a late-deafend person to be able to sing.

Remember... Ludwig van Beethoven was deaf... At least for the latter half of his career as a composer, which most of his great compositions are from.

Thanks you guys!! Reading this makes me feel better :)

ACKKK what the *** is with these smilies on the right side of my screen?? ACK!!!! :O

This may be a silly suggestion, but it's also fun.

There is a game for the PS2 called "Karaoke Revolution." The idea is that you're supposed to sing the song as closely on-key as possible. There is clear visual feedback as to whether you are singing sharp or flat, and you can adjust the difficulty so that it's very lenient or extremely picky. There are several expansions so that you're bound to find songs you know and like on at least one of them. And you don't even need to be able to read music at all.

This might be a good way to practice your singing and get a feel for whether you are able to stay on key. I thought of it because I play it with my boyfriend, who is hearing but completely tone-deaf, meaning that he really cannot tell at all whether he's singing on key or not, and he's actually improved from playing it with me. (I wasn't trying to get him to sing better, I just noticed the result.) :D

If you're into this kind of thing you might want to check it out. And if you do, I'd love to know what you think of it!

I love that!! How fun!! I always need reasons to go shopping and this is a good one!! Plus now I can annoy my friends way more than before LOL!! Thanks :)

sevendaisy said:
I love that!! How fun!! I always need reasons to go shopping and this is a good one!! Plus now I can annoy my friends way more than before LOL!! Thanks :)

Oh, it's a great tool to annoy people. Coincidentally (I hadn't told him about this post), my boyfriend brought home the next expansion pack today, which also support Dance Dance Revolution moves. Too complicated for me, I'm just excited about all the new songs!

Let me know how it works out for you, if you try it. It takes a little getting used to but it is really fun.

Back