Question

stringbean

Reaction score
I thought I'd ask you guys(and gals) this because I have gotten two different answers when I asked some other people.

i am trying to learn ASL. Do you think it is ok to start out learning it on a video? I was good on the alphabet and general signs like "How are you?", but then they got into sentences and I think she was doing the sentences in SEE because there were words for each part of the sentence. The one part that confused me though, which is why I was told not to learn ASL on video was for one of the sentences, the sentence was "I love my mom and dad." And usually in the sentences they used the '"and" sign, fingers together across chest, but in this sentence she just signed "I love my mom dad." What do you guys think?

I am hearing and found it MUCH easier to learn from a teacher not a videotape. I find it extremely difficult to watch signers on video because there is no depth, meaning that a 3-D language becomes 2-D.

For the basics a video is probably fine but the best way is to learn from a teacher, and out in the deaf community.

Also, if you sign MOTHER FATHER (without "AND" in between), it means PARENTS. This is why a teacher is better, because you can ask questions!

Interpretrator said:
I am hearing and found it MUCH easier to learn from a teacher not a videotape. I find it extremely difficult to watch signers on video because there is no depth, meaning that a 3-D language becomes 2-D.

For the basics a video is probably fine but the best way is to learn from a teacher, and out in the deaf community.

Also, if you sign MOTHER FATHER (without "AND" in between), it means PARENTS. This is why a teacher is better, because you can ask questions!
:werd:
I like to use videos for increasing specialized vocabularies, and observing interpretting in settings that I don't have easy access to in real life, such as legal settings. Videos are good for practice and supplementation, but for basic instruction I prefer face-to-face.

I am with Interp and Reba on this. While videotapes are good for reviewing, I prefer learning from a teacher. My first ASL teacher was deaf herself and she came in and started signing. She was very very effective in her ways, and we learned rather quickly. It was one of my favorite classes in college.

Anyway - it's easier when you're in a class, IMO. You can better note the facial expressions, etc...

Yeah I agree with everyone above, its alot better than viewing the video!...

Some sign language classes are free, check around and see before you sign up for that class!

Good luck girl! :thumb:

Back