Question about Cochlear Implant....

C

coloravalanche

Since I am planning on getting cochlear implant for my right ear only...I have question to ask you all who have cochlear implant...

Is it true that if I get surgery, it's high risky due to stroke or paralized?

Is it true that after surgery, it might cause me getting migraine (headache) often?

What are those risks? Thanks! :D

coloravalanche said:
Since I am planning on getting cochlear implant for my right ear only...I have question to ask you all who have cochlear implant...

I can't answer to this because I don't have an experience with anyone who use CI like this. :dunno: I would suggest you to visit google to search pros/cons over CI issues or look around CI sections here in AllDeaf.

Is it true that after surgery, it might cause me getting migraine (headache) often?

Yes, I have some friends who suffering severe headache after CI surgery. I only tell you what I know from them.

mengituis.

I would suggest you to check with the doctor or go to google to find out. I can't give you any feedback because I myself don't have CI.

coloravalanche said:

No offense, but should've you kinda research that kind of stuff, the risks and stuff like that before u decide to get a cochlear implant?

Coloravalanche,

I had the implant for my right ear only (March '05 - Cochlear Freedom). From my personal experience and knowledge, I didn't experience any of your concerns but that doesn't really mean anything (because everybody is different).

I believe your concern about a stroke is probably true in general for surgeries as a whole but not exclusive to a cochlear implant. A cochlear implant does not touch the brain whatsoever and therefore if there is a risk, it is general and more related to your health factors. Now about paralysis, it depends if you are referring to stoke related then my previous comments apply. If you are referring to facial paralysis, then that is definitely a risk you have to consider for an implant. I believe it is rare and most of those are temporary paralysis not permanent. They use a facial nerve monitor in an attempt to avoid that problem.

As far as menigitus is concerned, you can get an injection that pretty much takes care of that problem. I've heard that some have headaches afterwards but I'm not as familiar with that issue (whether related to menigitus or what) and it was not a problem for me. From what Liebling said, it can be a problem.

I agree with darkangel8603 that you need to do some research for yourself. While a cochlear implants has great potential to provide hearing how much depends on your circumstances and it will not give you "normal" hearing like the regular non-deaf folks out there, still it behooves you to learn all the risks that may be involved with this. This is one of those important decision situations that only you can decide if it is right for you.

FYI - I absolutely love what my implant has done for me and I hear extremely well with it to where I'm more or less just like the the regular hearing folks (mind you I realize that my hearing isn't quite to the level what they have but it really isn't a problem for me). My background is that I'm a pre-lingual with HOH (severe) with a HA all of my life until this spring.

yah that is right, there are some risks for cochlear implants, i have researched them for about 4 months before i decided to go in for appts to see if i am a candiate. The doctor has warned me several of things of risks for getting it, but i had already knew from all the researching that i have done. And even when i were being tested, i was still researching, til recently june they said i was approved and i have to make a decision whether i want it or not, i have decided that i will go for it. but its important to do tons of researching before going ahead with something this big. Not just for cochlear implant but anything that includes surguries (sp?) So google is your best friend. ;)

Back