Question about ADA

Athena

Reaction score
I am curious about something with the ADA. I know that it states that persons with disabilities must be given equal access to jobs. However, I am wondering if this applies when the disability that they have specifically makes them incapable of doing the specified job.

Like for example, hiring a blind person to do video survailence. Are exceptions made for things like that?

If so, what stops people from taking it too far? I could possibly see someone claiming, for example, that a Deaf person was not qualified for a job because it used phones, but phones were only for internal calls with co-workers and they could just as easily, for example, use email. This is clearly different then the example I gave above, but some people may try to blur the distinction for their advantage.

Companies have found several way to get around the ADA law anyway! Most company would NEVER mention why they don't want to hire you. All they can say, we have filled the position, or that they can not find position that suits you. These are very vague, and impossible to challenge in the court of the law. Companies nowadays are very afraid to mention anything specifically that would lead to potential lawsuits.

Every individual with a disability have different accommodations, and there are Vocational Rehabilitation services across the country. They assist clients with disabilities to keep their jobs while those clients may need to function properly in employment on their own.

Back