PS3 Games?

I recommend you buy Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty World at War, they are best game ever.

I already got COD4 for 360, and I have a plan to give my little brother COD:WaW for Christmas. Thanks for recommend, Christer. :ty:

Uncharted is another must have. Maybe not a driving game but one of my favorites on PS3. Uncharted 2 I believe is due out in Febuary if memory serves me correctly. Also God of War III is another PS3 exclusive due out in March which is on my list as well.

I chose 3 games for X-MAS... PS3 $400 + GT5P, MotorStorm 2, GRID + HDMI cable. Good choose?

Speaking of HDMI...my HDTV in fact do not have HDMI. Mine is a flatpanel 23' LCD HDTV made by Philips. I got it last year for $500 includes two composites, one component, one component for HD display, one VGA, and one DVI and that's pretty much it. I wish it has HDMI too.

This is what I exactly have.

Philips_23__Widescreen_HD_Ready_LCD_TVtezStandard.jpg

Features:

* Vivid, natural and razor sharp images
* High-definition LCD WXGA display, 1366×768p
* HDTV Monitor for the highest quality display of HDTV signals
* Crystal Clear III for natural images with enhanced quality
* 3D combfilter separates colors for a razor-sharp image
* Exciting and lifelike sound
* Incredible Surround™ for enhanced audio enjoyment
* Slim, stylish design to complement your interior
* Compact and slim design that fits in every room
* PC input lets you also use your TV as a PC monitor
* Auto Picture to personalize your viewing
* Auto Sound uses pre-defined sound settings for better sound

Specifications:

* Aspect ratio: 16×9 Widescreen
* Brightness: 500 cd/m²
* Contrast ratio (typical): 450:1
* Diagonal screen size: 23 inch / 58 cm
* Display screen type: LCD WXGA Active Matrix TFT
* Picture enhancement: Crystal Clear III, Progressive Scan, Sharpness Adjustment, 3D Combfilter
* Screen enhancement: Anti-Reflection coated screen
* Viewing angle (H / V): 140 / 125 degree
* Panel resolution: 1366×768p
* Response time (typical): 16 ms
* Sound System: Mono, Stereo, SAP
* Output power (RMS): 2×5W
* Sound Enhancement: Incredible Surround
* Built-in speakers: 2
* Ease of Installation: Automatic Tuning System (ATS), Autostore, Fine Tuning, PLL Digital Tuning
* Ease of Use: AutoPicture, AutoSound, Menu Control, On Screen Display, Top Controls, Auto Volume Leveller (AVL)
* Tuner bands: Hyperband, S-Channel, UHF, VHF
* TV system: NTSC, PAL N, PAL M
* Video Playback: NTSC, PAL
* Tuner Display: PLL

Connectivity

* F-Type (75 ohm)
* PC Audio in
* PC-In VGA
* DVI-D
* Analog audio Left/Right out
* Composite video (CVBS) out
* AV 1: Audio L/R in, YPbPr (2fh)
* AV 2: Audio L/R in, Component Video in
* AV 3: Audio L/R in, CVBS in, S-Video Y/C
* Number of AV connections: 3

It can go up between 720p to 1080i. 1080p obviously seems out of the picture so...anyway, I was thinking of trying to get HDMI to DVI cable that could fit in the back of the TV for the PS3. I tried the HDMI to DVI converter and it didnt fit well in there it was too big so I had to get the smaller plugger to fit in right.

It is well known that DVI and HDMI do carry the same video signal but DVI do not carry the audio signal. I heard somewhere that they said you can still use the composite/component cable with red and white connectors for audio while using the HDMI to DVI cable at the same time...is that true? and will it REALLY go up to 1080p? I'm sorry but I just had to ask so I hope I get some answers on this. Thanks!

Hmm, let me get this straight:

You are trying to get your PS3 hooked to your 23" LCD TV, but since it doesn't have HDMI input, you have to use the HDMI to DVI converter for the video. That's fine.

A. For the audio, yeah, you have the right idea in mind. You use the standard RCA red/white connectors to the TV and hope the audio signal works that way. Note that I haven't attempted this, so I am unsure if it exactly works. Because the PS3 will be set on HDMI output, therefore the A/V output section *might* get completely ignored.

B. Alternatively, and the better choice, you can use the Optical out in back of the ps3. Check if your TV has an optical input though, I have no idea about that. Most TV's don't have it.
You use the port back here, as you can see:
sony-playstation-3-unveiled_6.jpg

that says DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) and use this cable:
Optical-Cable-1.jpg

Then the way it connects to your audio system is like this:
image4.png

If your TV doesn't have an optical input, then you can get a digital to RCA type cable that's like this:
opticalaudio_rca_b.jpg

C. Last of these 3, you can get a upscaling DVD player that supports a variety of input and outputs.

D. The best fix of all of these of course, is to get a TV that supports 1080p and has a native HDMI input.

Also regarding the 1080p:
You aren't getting 1080p resolution on the display, these are the facts.
Full output of HDMI = 1080p, but can go backwards to all previous modes (ie 1080i, 720p, 720i, etc)
HDMI = DVI without audio, only when digital output support is greater than or equal to 1920x1200 resolution.
Always check the monitor specs before you buy to make sure of tthe following:
- You need a 24" LCD Monitor, (NOT TV, PC MONITOR ) or higher to support 1080p natively.
- You need a 37" LCD HDTV, (REAL TV) or higher to support 1080p natively.
Either of these 2 above are required to run 1:1 with HDMI's full 1080p. If you have less specs, then you're running at a downscaled mode.

It is well known that DVI and HDMI do carry the same video signal but DVI do not carry the audio signal. I heard somewhere that they said you can still use the composite/component cable with red and white connectors for audio while using the HDMI to DVI cable at the same time...is that true? and will it REALLY go up to 1080p? I'm sorry but I just had to ask so I hope I get some answers on this. Thanks!

1. Yes, it will work with white and red audio cable unless your TV have extra W/R input...
2. Not sure if DVI/HDMI carry 1080p. Someone might answer that question. :dunno:

i hope that help you some.. :)

Edited: naisho is right

Last edited:
Hmm, let me get this straight:

You are trying to get your PS3 hooked to your 23" LCD TV, but since it doesn't have HDMI input, you have to use the HDMI to DVI converter for the video. That's fine.

A. For the audio, yeah, you have the right idea in mind. You use the standard RCA red/white connectors to the TV and hope the audio signal works that way. Note that I haven't attempted this, so I am unsure if it exactly works. Because the PS3 will be set on HDMI output, therefore the A/V output section *might* get completely ignored.

B. Alternatively, and the better choice, you can use the Optical out in back of the ps3. Check if your TV has an optical input though, I have no idea about that. Most TV's don't have it.
You use the port back here, as you can see:
sony-playstation-3-unveiled_6.jpg

that says DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) and use this cable:
Optical-Cable-1.jpg

Then the way it connects to your audio system is like this:
image4.png

If your TV doesn't have an optical input, then you can get a digital to RCA type cable that's like this:
opticalaudio_rca_b.jpg

C. Last of these 3, you can get a upscaling DVD player that supports a variety of input and outputs.

D. The best fix of all of these of course, is to get a TV that supports 1080p and has a native HDMI input.

Also regarding the 1080p:
You aren't getting 1080p resolution on the display, these are the facts.
Full output of HDMI = 1080p, but can go backwards to all previous modes (ie 1080i, 720p, 720i, etc)
HDMI = DVI without audio, only when digital output support is greater than or equal to 1920x1200 resolution.
Always check the monitor specs before you buy to make sure of tthe following:
- You need a 24" LCD Monitor, (NOT TV, PC MONITOR ) or higher to support 1080p natively.
- You need a 37" LCD HDTV, (REAL TV) or higher to support 1080p natively.
Either of these 2 above are required to run 1:1 with HDMI's full 1080p. If you have less specs, then you're running at a downscaled mode.

Hmmm interesting...sounds abit complicated but I kind of get what your saying.

I guess you are right abt montior specs...I almost got the CTR HDTV with HDMI but they were gone before I got the chance to get them ugh that made me mad. lol

Ah well...I guess HDMI to DVI dont completely sound promising as I thought. :/

Seems like I'm stuck with component for the PS3 then :/ Ah well at least 1080i is still good, I guess. Most PS3 games goes up to 720p as for Blu-ray movies can go up to 1080p and thats of why I wanted to make my TV go up to 1080p but seems likely that I cant really get it in a very possible way.

Bleh well thanks for the answers, I will stick with component until someday I get me a much better tv lol.

I would definitely go optical for audio and keep the AV with the DVI to HDMI converter. Especially if you already have a receiver set up for surround sound then more than likely if its halfway decent then it should have an optical audio in. You could do the red white AV cables but if you're going for a superior sound then I would definitely go optical.

There's 21.5" Dell monitor with 1920 x 1080 and 16:9.
Dell - 21.5" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - S2209W

It's possible for real TV to support 1080p at range from 20's to 37" in near future.

Steel, if you don't have 1080p then component cable is good, if you do then recommended to use HDMI, all 1080p HDTV has HDMI built-in.

1. Yes, it will work with white and red audio cable unless your TV have extra W/R input...
2. Not sure if DVI/HDMI carry 1080p. Someone might answer that question. :dunno:

i hope that help you some.. :)

Edited: naisho is right

Just one question...since you say the composite/component cable for audio will work...do I have to put it in a different place where DVI is or keep it in the same place where it is before?

As if I get the HDMI to DVI converter and I go to the settings...as for audio, will set it to either composite/component as for video will set it to HDMI.

Seems it may work but I dont know if i have to move the audio cable to the different input when I use HDMI to DVI?

This is what the back of my HDTV looks like. DVI with audio connectors next to the PC input (Xbox360)

EDIT: I've discovered something else as I read on the back of my tv said DVI (HDCP).

What does that mean and would it still allow it to go up to 1080p?

Last edited:
Back