PM options

donkeykong

Reaction score
Hello, why I don't have option to send private messages on forum?
Thanks

How many posts are required for this option? Can I send a PM to a person who also doesn't meet this prerequisite?

I think you need to have either 5 or 10 posts before the PM feature is enabled. I don't know what would happen if you tried to send a PM to somebody who doesn't meet that requirement- they wouldn't get it. I would think you'd get an error message saying that their PM function was turned off...

50 posts in order to have the PM feature enabled. Not 5 - 10 posts. I believe that is accordingly to the forum rules.

50 posts in order to have the PM feature enabled. Not 5 - 10 posts. I believe that is accordingly to the forum rules.

No, it's 5. I've sent and received to/from people who had only 5.

I don't know what would happen if you tried to send a PM to somebody who doesn't meet that requirement- they wouldn't get it. I would think you'd get an error message saying that their PM function was turned off...

Responding to the part that I bolded:

My experience has been that you don't get an error message because you're never able to even attempt to send. If you click on their name, the option of sending a private message just doesn't appear. Same thing on their profile page.

5 or 10 posts sounds more reasonable, I hope that's what it is. If it's 50, then that's just encouraging people to spend a couple days spamming the board with less than helpful posts just to meet the quota.

Responding to the part that I bolded:

My experience has been that you don't get an error message because you're never able to even attempt to send. If you click on their name, the option of sending a private message just doesn't appear. Same thing on their profile page.
I'll reach 5-10 here shortly so I'll let you know what I find out. :)

EDIT: It seems like after 10 posts it let me do it. Possible after 5, but I didn't try logging out/logging back in. But now I can send PM's. I also sent the OP in this thread a PM and it let me do it without error. Though I just realized he has 5 posts now.

Last edited:
I'll reach 5-10 here shortly so I'll let you know what I find out. :)

EDIT: It seems like after 10 posts it let me do it. Possible after 5, but I didn't try logging out/logging back in. But now I can send PM's. I also sent the OP in this thread a PM and it let me do it without error. Though I just realized he has 5 posts now.
It looks like, Alex has downsized it from 50 at the first time, few years ago. This is to avoid these spams.

Back