people tired of repeating themselves

amanda

Reaction score
I just moved in with a friend I've known for eight years . When I lived here before I didn't have the degree of hearing lossI have now which is 100% in l ear and 90%in r ear . I can't hear with out hearing aides . My daily ritutal is to put them on first thing in the morning cuz my friend hates repeating herself . Though I have hearing aides my hearing still isn't good . and I have the highest powered hearing aides availible . I don't know what to do she's not a patient person and I tired of her yelling at me for repeating herself . It's not like I can help it . I just don't know how to handle the situtation any advice ?

I just moved in with a friend I've known for eight years . When I lived here before I didn't have the degree of hearing lossI have now which is 100% in l ear and 90%in r ear . I can't hear with out hearing aides . My daily ritutal is to put them on first thing in the morning cuz my friend hates repeating herself . Though I have hearing aides my hearing still isn't good . and I have the highest powered hearing aides availible . I don't know what to do she's not a patient person and I tired of her yelling at me for repeating herself . It's not like I can help it . I just don't know how to handle the situtation any advice ?

I'm sorry about what you have experienced with your profound loss :( I have severe and profound loss that is a little better than yours but I have smilar problems though. Many times I have to ask people repeat what they say to me and , unfortunately, I cannot understand them clearly , yet. I think one solution for you is sign language . You and your close relatives and friends can learn sign language and effectively communicate with it.

If you want to function in hearing world and cannot get enough benefit from hearing aids then you SHOULD consider cochlear implants. Because you're late deafened you are a good candidate for implanting. I read posts of many people who have great success with theirs implants.

Good luck :hug:

Obviously it's quite a frustrating ordeal for 'both' of you to go through. Yet, you're human and basically have a certain need--even if it means the other person needs to repeat...perhaps if the other person would take an extra effort by being able to look directly at you and speak in such a way that you'll understand the majority of what's being said, minimizing the need to repeat, although, repeating is simply one of the 'tools' that can be very helpful despite the fact that some might find it a frustrating thing to do. Also, whether or not you are able to lip-read, if so, facing the other person while talking is very helpful...and lastly, learning sign-language or the basic signs will go a long ways as well. ;)

Your friend needs to be more patient. If your friend doesn't want to repeat herself... she should learn sign language. ;)

Your friend needs to be more patient. If your friend doesn't want to repeat herself... she should learn sign language. ;)
word. i'm assuming she's aware of your condition? i know that's what i would do if i were in her situation. actually, that's part of why i'm studying to become an interpreter(i'm hearing), for potential situations like that. while i'm not a big fan of repeating myself, it's usually because i know the person IS hearing but is purposely just being obnoxious though:ugh3:.

Hi Amanda,

You are in a situation similar to me. I live with my wife, daughter and son-in-law. They "yell" at me so I can hear them when they need to talk directly to me. Problem is, they do not always look in my direction nor wait for me to look in their direction. That causes a mis-communication and I have to ask for a repeat. Then it's the "I'm already yelling at you as loud as I can" routine which tends to make matters worse. Sound familiar?

Then there is the dinner table conversation where I ask a question but since I totally misunderstood what they were saying to begin with, the question that I asked did not make any sense. Of course, that leads to a lot of laughter for them and a little humiliation for me. So guess what I do now at the dinner table? Eat dinner and quickly excuse myself.

Yes, not the ideal situation. But we are learning about my new world of learning to sign and slowly, ever so slowly, I believe that everyone will better understand how we can communicate better. Right now, it is a denial that I can hardly hear normal conversation with my hearing aids much less try to watch a movie in a movie theater. We have to give and take a little to find the best situation for all of us as a family.

My best to you. I think I somewhat understand what you are dealing with but I will not say that I know exactly how you feel. Talk to all of us here at AD and we'll do our best to help you along the way.

Dave

Tells me that your friend is not a very good friend after all. I'm hearing & my wife is deaf. I'm used to it myself. Theres no need for your friend to be like that. She should be a little more understanding and have a little more patients. Sorry you have to go through that.

It maybe a good time to sit down with your friend, and have a heart to heart talk with her, and explain to her exactly what you are going through, and how it's not easy for you to hear every word all the time. One bit of advice you received is "looking directly into your face", that I agree with wholeheartedly. Your friend needs to look at you, when she talks to you, and she needs to talk slow, not slow where you will be there "all day", but, slowly so that you can understand what she is saying to you without you having to ask to repeat it again and again. Patience is very important here, another great piece of advice that you received. Your friend needs to be very patient with you, as she can hear everything that is being said, whereas it's not as easy for you. Allow her to understand you're in a different world now, but, your two worlds can come together in a compromise.

Back