O.K., so NOW what?

(forgive me...am a little behind here due to a bout with the flu--)

Welcome to Alldeaf Codger! I'm glad that you've found this site and sure hope you'll enjoy your stay here as well!!

Roadrunner said:
(forgive me...am a little behind here due to a bout with the flu--)

Welcome to Alldeaf Codger! I'm glad that you've found this site and sure hope you'll enjoy your stay here as well!!
Thankyou Roadrunner! Hope the flu is over with. I have been here long enough to make some friends, and to feel at home with the folks here. I don't know if the Mods have the power, but can you change the emoticon at the first post to a happier one? Or delete it?

I am checking with Blue cross/Blue shield now, and Tn. rehab will be next. Then the Lions Club as was earlier suggested. Thanks for the info!

Codger said:
Hi Tousi! I am in Southwest Tennessee. I live on a farm in the rolling hills near the Tennessee River. I am a swimming pool contractor most of the year. In the winter I work in other building trades or run a CNC in a machine shop.

My ADA problems have to do with requests for accomodation being ignored in court and in school board meetings. Both are public entities, and I was denied the right to effectively participate in proceedings directly affecting me. I don't want to sue. I just want them to comply. Thanks for the welcome!

Hi welcome to AD and enjoy this site. Ahem which part of Tenn. u live? I have been living in Tennessee. Didn't know u live in TN.

PurrMeow

PurrMeow said:
Hi welcome to AD and enjoy this site. Ahem which part of Tenn. u live? I have been living in Tennessee. Didn't know u live in TN.

PurrMeow

I am in Decatur County. If you look at a map, I am just above the Tennessee line where Mississippi and Alabama meet. Just about halfway between Nashville and Memphis. My family and I live out in the country on a farm. CATS, dogs, chickens, ducks, and cattle. And I am enjoying the site!

Hi Codger, welcome to alldeaf.com! I am a long-time resident of Tennessee (Knoxville area) but live in the Atlanta suburbs.

I know several deaf people in the Jackson/Lexington area - they attended TSD (Tennessee School for the Deaf) in Knoxville where I also attended.

Instead of calling a lot of places for help/information, you might want to consider getting in touch with someone over at the JCIL Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services organization, located in Jackson. They should be able to assist you or refer you to other organizations in the Memphis/Jackson area. United Way is another good organization for help/information like that.

Hope this is of some help, and again welcome to alldeaf.com.

Hi Codger, welcome aboard to AD!! :wave:

Wondering if you have any horse on your farm? :giggle:

Anyway, if you want to learn ASL (american Sign Language), there are several way to learn. You can buy a ASL book and teach yourself, you can take a nite course at the local school for class. And get social with Deafies and HOH club and I am sure you will learn from them.\

I was born HOH and the school that I went was allowed ASL. So of course I learned a little from my cousin who went to different school then I do. Anyway my signing wasnt that great at that time but when I went to college I learn more and gotten better. My VR counsler was shocked that I did well with my signing. So good luck!!

Codger said:
I am in Decatur County. If you look at a map, I am just above the Tennessee line where Mississippi and Alabama meet. Just about halfway between Nashville and Memphis. My family and I live out in the country on a farm. CATS, dogs, chickens, ducks, and cattle. And I am enjoying the site!

Ahh I know where Decatur County. I've been there before. I have lived in Davidson County and Cheatham County. I've lived in Davidson Co. when I first moved from Georgia at the age of between 8 to 10 anyway & then when I was married and moved to Cheatham Co. till 2001 moved out of state. It was just time to change for me.. I was born in Georgia and moved to Tenn till 2001. Thks God it was time for me to move on. LOL...

PurrMeow

Brian said:
Hi Codger, welcome to alldeaf.com! I am a long-time resident of Tennessee (Knoxville area) but live in the Atlanta suburbs.

I know several deaf people in the Jackson/Lexington area - they attended TSD (Tennessee School for the Deaf) in Knoxville where I also attended.

Instead of calling a lot of places for help/information, you might want to consider getting in touch with someone over at the JCIL Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services organization, located in Jackson. They should be able to assist you or refer you to other organizations in the Memphis/Jackson area. United Way is another good organization for help/information like that.

Hope this is of some help, and again welcome to alldeaf.com.

Brian you said u knew few deaf ppls in the Jackson/Lexington area? If so, I've been there several times. I dunno if we both have met or not nor we might know other ppls that we have met.

PurrMeow :|

I am pretty close to Lexington. I do a lot of work there and it is the closest town with a Wal-Mart, so you know it is huge!

I don't have horses, but quite a few head of cattle, about fifty laying hens, six rabbits, three ducks, two dogs, and the number of cats goes up and down. And then of course there is the wildlife here...deer, quail, squirrels, racoons, etc. But mostly we raise cattle.

I talked to the department of human services this past Monday and filled out a bunch of forms. They have a program to help provide hearing aids, but they have budget cuts like everyone else. She did tell me that if I am turned down because someone else needs help more (and if they do I hope they get it instead of me), then there are three different organizations that might help. They refer folks to them so maybe I am on my way to getting my ITEs.

I've learned a lot from the folks here at AD since my first post. And I am learning ASL bit by bit. I still have my language skills though, so at this point there is no rush in learning it completely. There are no deafies around me that I am aware of, nor am I able to travel a great distance from my work and family to go to a school.... been to college twice and have degrees, so at my age I can't see going back again.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Codger said:
I talked to the department of human services this past Monday and filled out a bunch of forms. They have a program to help provide hearing aids, but they have budget cuts like everyone else. She did tell me that if I am turned down because someone else needs help more (and if they do I hope they get it instead of me), then there are three different organizations that might help. They refer folks to them so maybe I am on my way to getting my ITEs.

Try the Starkey Hearing Foundation www.sotheworldmayhear.org for hearing aids offered at steep discount.

Richard

Back