"Nothing to do!"??

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
My staff terp departed her position, so I was borrowing one of the staff terps from other office to assist me to do my casework tasks including phone work and client appointments.

I usually borrow this terp for 3 hours at a time. My clients did not show for their scheduled appts with me and my clients were not available to answer phone or return my calls in a timely manner. This terp complained to her supervisor that there was nothing for her to do while working with me. My supervisor asked me to create something to keep this terp "busy." I tried explaining to my supervisor that it is NOT my fault that my clients were no show and some were not around to respond to phone call and it is NOT my responsiblity to keep this terp company or entertainted. This terp should bring some good books to read or something to do when time is down. I also told supervisor that I feel that this terp is breaking her RID code of ethnics by breaking the confidentility of what was happening during her assignment to work with me AND "evaluating" my profressional performance. If this interp continues to complain "nothng to do" I don't wish to use this interp again.

Am I right? If so, what is my recourse? File a complaint?

The interpreter should keep self occupied.
They are "assigned" to you for three hours, so their time is yours. It is their job. You cannot predict your job but you KNOW you will work for three hours. That should be sufficent of a reason for the interpreter to stay.

I deal with same issues with university interpreters who complained of "nothing to do" in my art classes. But it is imperative for them to stay in case I have a question or my classmate needs help or the teacher have last-minute notice or discussion. ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN and I don't want to miss out on it just because the interpreter "is bored".
My interpreter coordinator "solved" this problem by sending out an interpreter (since they don't need a break in signing) and sofar we haven't any issues.

Those interpreters learned to counter the boredom by bringing their homework (if they are students themselves) or catch up with their balance or, like you mentioned-- reading a book.

Keep your interperters. Tell the coordinator that you requested for three hours and you are entitled to have the whole three hours. Tell them that you are not a babysitter. Clarify your situation and show the coordinator the gravity of you having an interpreter at all the times.

First of all, I have to laugh just a bit, because in my entire career as an interpreter so far (which, granted, isn't enormously long), I have NEVER complained about not having anything to do! I always have a book with me and if I get to rest my hands and brain and still get paid for it...what's to complain about?

That said, I don't believe your interpreter breached confidentiality, as it is perfectly within ethical boundaries to discuss job-related problems with an immediate supervisor. It would be impossible for us to do our jobs if we couldn't go to our supervisor with problems, and to tell them exactly what those problems are.

Also, are you sure the interpreter was "evaluating your professional performance" or just being a whiny brat? The former isn't cool at all (although still not really a breach of ethics if she ONLY talked to her supervisor), but the latter...eh, there's just no pleasing some people!

My suggestion: go to the interpreter's supervisor. Explain the nature of your job (that it may entail long periods of downtime and any interpreter who is on the job just has to deal with it). Request that the next interpreter you get be made aware of this. And ask not to work with that complaining terp again. She sounds like a real pill!

ALSO...ask her to talk to YOUR boss and explain that you are not required to entertain or make work for an interpreter. I know you already did this but coming from the interpreter supervisor it might help even more. Asking you to find work for the terp is a ridiculous request and it seems like your boss doesn't understand the job of an interpreter.

That's just ridiculous. Interpreters should always bring a book. I'm appalled that someone would complain to their supervisor about a day that had missed appointments. If it was a regular job with nothing to do every day, I could understand asking to be transferred to someplace you can keep busy. But one day of light work is not grounds for complaining and I am embarrassed that a terp would do something like that.

Hey, if the interpereter has nothing to do for 3 hours, isn't that like a paid 3 hour break for them?

So why are they complaining?

Heck, I would say "Hey any more jobs, PLEASE HIRE ME :)"

I must have been misinformed. I thought it was fully explained to terps when they are in college that they are there for the Deaf person and not the other way around. hhhmmm i start terp classes in January maybe my school will full explain that.

Isn't that why Readers Digest was created? :P It fits perfectly into a purse, and the short articles are easy to put aside when duty calls.

Seriously, I have terped for classes, especially lab classes, where I do have free time while the student is doing hands-on work. But I'm available for those important Q's & A's that pop up. I usually bring "light" reading so I don't get too deeply involved with my text. I've also used my free time to balance my checkbook, write shopping lists, check text msg's, and study my pocket Spanish dictionary. I don't bring large newspapers, or spread out paperwork all over the place. I bring a water bottle but I don't eat food during assignments (who wants to look at a terp with food stuck between her teeth?). Whatever I do depends on the setting.

I prefer to be working most of the time but I appreciate ocassional breaks. If I'm "on the clock" and getting paid, then I have no reason to complain.

My big complaint is overbooking and overlapping assignments, or assignments that go over-time without warning. Once, a two-hour assignment became a five-hour assignment, and my team mate left after the two-hours. The speaker (who must have worn a bag, or had kidneys of steel) took NO breaks during the entire time! I took a "potty" break right before my team mate left, and then just turned into a terping zombie. The last hour was "informal" so I ran to the ladies room for a quick break then.

Or working a three-hour job, no breaks, and the team mate (that you were expecting) never shows up. Oh, well.

Several of my assignments are 25 miles apart, and I'm expected to go from one to the other in 25 minutes or less (including parking and potty break). (And people wonder why I wear ugly "comfort" shoes--I need to run everywhere!)

Yeah, I'll take those breaks any time. :P

Hmm.. after reading these posts, I really should stop worrying about my terps having nothing to do. They keep telling me not to worry about it. Guess I'll take their advice.

I must have been misinformed. I thought it was fully explained to terps when they are in college that they are there for the Deaf person and not the other way around. hhhmmm i start terp classes in January maybe my school will full explain that.
There are still some terps out there who have never attended an ITP.

Terps are human. For those who have attended ITP, some of them either never learn what they're taught, they forget what they're taught, or they don't care what they're taught.

Even for certified terps there is no "personality" exam.

I had an interpreter who got involved in an organization every summer. Anyway, she had this project to do which was papers everywhere. She had an obsession with it, that when my teachers would give us an assignment the entire classtime--she'd excuse herself from class. I didn't like it because I KNEW at any time, the teacher would start talking about something. Usually, they did. That angered me that I complained. I knew she was so self-absorbed that she said it's my responsibility to ask. I was like????? She'd complain that the teacher promised not to say anything after she left. Never happened like that. They just couldn't bring themselves to tell the terp to stay.

So Reba, it's a good idea to be simple because it really was embarrassing for me what the terp was doing. It was a total pain.

You have a right to file a complaint...since this terp broke the rules... go ahead filing...

There are still some terps out there who have never attended an ITP.

Terps are human. For those who have attended ITP, some of them either never learn what they're taught, they forget what they're taught, or they don't care what they're taught.

Even for certified terps there is no "personality" exam.

Well i was being sarcastic. I know there are crappy people what ever the job. I think with this type of job the person should really be vetted before they start. Some one's life could be on the line. Would you want a fire fighter with the same attitude going into your burning house with your child to rescue? No. A person's education, health, livelihood, etc... are in the balance. That is their life and the continuing well being of it. If you are working in VR or TTY maybe a little different but class room, work, doctor, or legal matters..... any way I know there are very good terps out there. I have met an excellent one, who is also an ASL teacher. Those Deaf who have met her love her, as a person and a terp. When interpreting she is a complete professional no joking does her job and is accurate. Off time she completely interacts with the client. She is great. If i become half as good as her, and have half the reputation she has, i will be great. She is very well respected. Too bad all cannot be like that. But we wouldn't be human if we were all the same huh? =)

Back