Not Wearing HAs

sunny

Reaction score
Hi!

OK am I the only one in a position like this?

I'm HoH, but it's strange. Mostly it's cuz I have Meniere's with a variable loss. Ive got a permanent mild loss in my left ear, moderate loss in right ear. BUT it varies. It can be severe loss in both ear depending on the status of the fluid in my ears (apparently), and that can last for a couple days at a time. But the mild/moderate is the best it gets.

First I dont have HAs cuz sounds hurt my ears like crazy. Its like they echo inside my head and Im actually more comfortable NOT wearing HAs. Second I dont feel like *not* having HAs hurts me. Third I have a sensory processing problem which means Ive always had trouble processing speech so losing the ability to hear speech and sounds doesn't affect me as much as it would had I been more dependent on my hearing to begin with I think. I've always been much more visual than hearing-oriented.

But am I strange for not wearing them? I get the impression from some people that I should be wearing them anyway (not people on here tho I just joined here). My life isn't any better or worse for not wearing them so IMO I don't need them. But wanted to get others' opinions on this.

Thanks!!
:doh:
:fruit: :spam:
:thumb:

(sorry im now addicted to these smileys)

Sunny, I think actually it's somewhat common for mildly hoh folks not to be aided. I remember reading that the most common sitution where this happens is with mild losses. I think actually that audilogically hoh losses can be compensated for with speechreading...it sounds like you have recruitment maybe? Why do you think you get "wear them anyway" from people? I mean if you're in the US, they are probaly not covered by insurance, so you'd have to pay out of pocket...why would you spend the equalivant of a college tution on something that wouldn't really help you? I dunno...maybe they think you're just being stubborn.

sunny: Most people with mild hearing losses aren't aided because there isn't anything -- or much of anything -- for a hearing aid to amplify (i.e. in terms of frequencies). Most hearing aids are designed to work for mild to moderate or worse hearing loss. You might be better off taking deafdyke's advice by learning how to lipread (also called speechreading). This would help supplement what you can/don't hear -- especially on days your hearing fluctuates because of Meniere's. Hope this helps! :)

Back