newbie in CT

momof5

Reaction score
Hi I am new here, i am a mom of 5 kids, i learned ASL
about 10 years ago at RI School for the Deaf and have signed
with all of my kids. We are waiting for an appointment on March 2
to find out if our youngest son (7mo) is profoundly deaf, we have been telling anyone who will listen that he can't hear but all of the doctors don't seem to be listening. I was looking online to find community in CT, we have just moved here from RI and don't really know anyone.
Thnks for letting me ramble
momof5

:wave: :welcome: to AllDeaf momof5!!! I used to work at the R.I School for the Deaf, up in the front at the reception area. It's nice to see another fellow R.I.'er on AllDeaf. I hope you enjoy your stay on this forum, and welcome aboard!! Have fun posting!! :dance2:

People from CT are just coming out of the woodwork ! ....
I'm in Fairfield county CT ...

what makes you think your son is deaf, is he unresponsive to noise?

JoeF
SSD since Aug 2005
Acoustic Neuroma w/BAHA Surgery

momof5 said:
Hi I am new here, i am a mom of 5 kids, i learned ASL
about 10 years ago at RI School for the Deaf and have signed
with all of my kids. We are waiting for an appointment on March 2
to find out if our youngest son (7mo) is profoundly deaf, we have been telling anyone who will listen that he can't hear but all of the doctors don't seem to be listening. I was looking online to find community in CT, we have just moved here from RI and don't really know anyone.
Thnks for letting me ramble
momof5

i am from ct... don't know what part ct you are living in... but if you are living in the fairfield county... you can contact family services woodfield which is a good start... :)

btw welcome aboard :wave:

Hi Momof5,

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here... ;)

Thanks for the info, I am in Windham county ( Danielson), very close to the RI line, that is why we have gone to Providence for most of our appointmnts so far. Our son is so far unresponsive to all noises unless they are very loud and within a few inches of his head. We went to an audiologist and she told us that not all babies will respond to voices at 6mo and that we should go for a follow up when he is 1yo. We also went to an ENT who told us that he had severe fluid and that he would like to tut tubes in and then our pediatrician sent us to another ENT who, after clapping his hands with no response from the baby and a odd looking tymp, called a ped otologist and had an appt set for March. We have been to more appts in the past 2 months for this kid than all of our others combined!!!

G'day momof5,
Welcome to AD. I hope you'll find something here. Hope your son will be diagnosed soon.
Cheers! :wave:

momof5 said:
Thanks for the info, I am in Windham county ( Danielson), very close to the RI line, that is why we have gone to Providence for most of our appointmnts so far. Our son is so far unresponsive to all noises unless they are very loud and within a few inches of his head. We went to an audiologist and she told us that not all babies will respond to voices at 6mo and that we should go for a follow up when he is 1yo. We also went to an ENT who told us that he had severe fluid and that he would like to tut tubes in and then our pediatrician sent us to another ENT who, after clapping his hands with no response from the baby and a odd looking tymp, called a ped otologist and had an appt set for March. We have been to more appts in the past 2 months for this kid than all of our others combined!!!

Hi I read your post. Are you saying that your son's pediatrician wants to make a hole and insert a tube in his eardrum? I do not think that it is a good idea because of ear infections later on when he gets older. I think I read it somewhere a few years ago. Can you tell me a little bit about tut tubes? You could ask the pediatrician about WelchAllyn Ear Wash System to clean out the tube - it is new to me, and I might buy one someday. (http://www.earwash.welchallyn.com/advantages.html)

Th ENT we went to first wanted to put tubes in his eardrums to drain the fluid that he told us was the problem but the second ENT that we saw was not convinced that fluid was the problem , there was more hearing loss than fluid could be causing . I am not sure about the ear cleaning, I will ask about it, but I am pretty sure that it cleans the outer ear .
Thanks for the advice, it is certainly more than we were getting from the doctors.

FeistyChick said:
i am from ct... don't know what part ct you are living in... but if you are living in the fairfield county... you can contact family services woodfield which is a good start... :)

btw welcome aboard :wave:
yes and I live near Bridgeport

Back