Newbie here!

JanEllenBall

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Jan and I am new to the alldeaf forum. I am 39, live in Georgia with my 77 year old Dad and my 4 goofy dogs and 1 equally goofy birdie. I am 75% deaf bilaterally, and wear BTE's which help a tiny bit (only if in a quiet place...if I am in a noisy place, they just make it worse). I suffer from Meniere's Disease, which is responsible, in part, for my deafness.

I am learning Signed English in a class being taught at my Church, and hope to learn ASL as well, though none of my friends or family sign. :-( Sure wish they did, as my lipreading isn't the greatest and I am getting to where it's harder and harder to understand people....especially when they mutter and turn away from me.

I am also training one of my dogs, Max (a Siberian Husky/Golden Retriever mix) to be my "hearing dog". He has a service dog vest, and goes with me when I go out at night because his hearing is WONDERFUL...hehe...I have a problem distinguishing from which direction sounds are coming, so someone could come up behind me and I wouldn't know...scary at night! Max is 90 pounds...(big) so people don't tend to bother me. LOL! (they don't have to know he doesn't really bite! hahaha!) He has learned to let me know when the doorbelll rings by coming and placing his paw in my lap. I am training him for the telephone as well.

I work from home as a Graphic Designer. You can see my website in my profile.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Thanks, folks! :) I am already really enjoying it...so much so that I am now behind in my work so I must get back to the grind here...hehehe...will check in later though.

Nice intro and :wave: Jan enjoy ur stay and nice to meet u!

Welcome to alldeaf.com, Jan!

I used to live in Acworth (Bartow County) just off Third Army Road about 100-ft from Cobb County line.

I currently live in west Cartersville just off Euharlee Road not far from Rome. I hope one day to move back to Acworth. I consider Acworth my adopted hometown though I am not from Georgia. :)

Hi Jan *waving*...

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here girl!...

Oh my goodness, Brian...you were just about a mile from where we live now. We're in Bartow as well, just over the Cobb line. We're over here near Holiday Marina...in a relatively new subdivision that was built about 4 years ago (Water's Edge). We moved here from East Cobb County because of all of the traffic/congestion down there. It had gotten to where it would take us about 10 minutes just to get out of our subdivision because of traffic. Up here, the most traffic we ever get is if more than 2 cars are at the 3 way stop at Tanyard Creek Rd. and Glade. (giggle) I love it!

I also know where Euharlee Rd. is. :) Nice to meet ya, neighbor!

Welcome aboard JanEllenBall

Please be careful not to reveal about your whereabout to the Internet world too much!! :)

Oh my goodness, Brian...you were just about a mile from where we live now. We're in Bartow as well, just over the Cobb line. We're over here near Holiday Marina...in a relatively new subdivision that was built about 4 years ago (Water's Edge). We moved here from East Cobb County because of all of the traffic/congestion down there. It had gotten to where it would take us about 10 minutes just to get out of our subdivision because of traffic. Up here, the most traffic we ever get is if more than 2 cars are at the 3 way stop at Tanyard Creek Rd. and Glade. (giggle) I love it!

I also know where Euharlee Rd. is. :) Nice to meet ya, neighbor!

Last edited:
Thanks Tamara. I've been on the Internet since before it was the Internet though...lol...I feel pretty safe. Besides, if someone really wanted to find me, it wouldn't be that hard. ;-)

Actually though, my new subdivision isn't even on any of the mapping sites yet. LOL! Even the UPS/FedEx guy has to call for directions. (giggle)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf JanEllenBall! A nice introduction and hopefully you'll be able to rapidly learn and pick up SEE and ASL...have fun reading and posting in here and hope your stay will be a pleasant and a rewarding experience as well! :mrgreen:

Back