New-Wife of HOF/Deaf Graduate Student

chirowife03

Reaction score
New- Wife of hoh/Deaf Graduate Student

Hello~
I am so glad to find this site. My name is Penni. I am married to a hoh/deaf man, Brian. He is 48 & I am 40. We are in the middle of puting him thru Chiropractic College as a change of careers. This is a very difficult thing for both of us. Luckily, we at this point have no children which makes it better.

I have many questions--my husbands hearing loss began in the military about 25 yrs ago. We have recently applied for VA benefits & are praying we get them. He did get 10k hearing aids from them for free. We have also applied for SSI & SSD. We have heard nothing on either claim and its been 9 months for both!! (any opinions or info on that would be welcomed).

My husband was at one campus in the midwest & the school did not accomodate him with a interpreter, they refused to let me do it. They would not spend any money on making any accomodations and flat out told us no. We then threatened the Dean of the college & had an entrance worker tell us that that campus just does not do disabilities. So we went to their other campus here in San Jose. Its the same school but not.. if that makes sense. This school is doing everything possible.. its amazing!! However, we did file a complaint with the Civil Rights Commission & they accepted our case because they felt we had one.

My husband & I are in the process of setting things up to learn Sign. His hearing has not required this until now. He is at a 85 in one ear and has almost no hearing in the other now. It is rapidly declining and wont be much longer until both are completely deaf. So its time to begin the entrance of this new world. We have no information. We have no deaf friends. We are unaware of any benefits of any kind for deaf, except Voc Rehab which just paid our entire tuition!!! And they also gave us a new phone thingie that types what is being said so he can use the phone. (blessings!)

Any rate... our main need right now and what I would ask you all is do you know of any Deaf Chiropractors? We need to find one and to learn what to do after school. School seems to be the easy part..its after we are most worried about.

Thank you so very much & I look forward to learning much on this site and gaining my much needed support-it is very difficult being married to someone who cannot hear. It has caused me much pain & I am just trying to learn to deal. It can be a lonely place for both sides I beleive.

My best regards,

Penni
San Jose, CA

Penni,

First of all, blessings to you for helping honey in chiropractic school. :hug: You will need to start learning patience, because, as my own chiropractor told me, "...if you're married before starting school, you won't be when you're done." :Ohno:

On the other note regarding the interpreter...does that school accept Federal funds? It'll be interesting to see if they still get them when your complaint goes through, as it is REQUIRED under the ADA of 1990, they MUST provide accomodations. Along the same lines, though, since they pulled that, your honey doesn't want to attend there anyway, right? :P I sure wouldn't. I had looked into becoming a chiropractor myself a few years ago, but wasn't up to the rigor of it, so didn't apply.

Pete, Hello!
And yes, this schooling has tested us beyond words-- our faith keeps us going. It is very hard. We are learning to become a team. We have to be to work together when its done. I can see me yelling....well...maybe it wont matter.. noone will hear me!! HAHAHAHA just teasing.

yes the school is federally funded. They are toast!!! I HOPE. I see no way they will not get burned for this one big time.

Thanks for the kind words!!

Penni

Back