New To Site - I'm a Four Year CI User

Seibs

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is what I have been looking for for quite sometime now. I am 23 and I have had a CI for almost four years. It has been a rough road and now it is only getting harder. I have been deaf since I was born and wore hearing aids for the longest time. It has not been easy. I graduated college and am now in the real world. Life has been a struggle lately as I haven't really had anyone to talk to that knows how I feel or what I'm going through. I haven't met another deaf person or cochlear implant user since I was maybe five years old. I am hoping to meet some people around here to discuss CI and difficulties in life dealing with it. I would prefer someone in my age range if possible. Also, I am available if anyone has any questions regarding my CI or if they are questioning whether or not to get one. I will say that it is probably one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life when I decided to get one. I hope to hear from some of you especially those who had troubles finding employment or are having troubles currently. I look forward to being an active member in this community.

Until next time....

Hello, i have been a member for this site for little over a year now. You are welcome to pm me or chat with me if you would like.

I am 19 years old, and was born profoundly deaf. I had wore hearing aids all my life and just got surgery for a CI in November. I will be getting turn on this wednesday. Hmm... I have been attending a deaf school when i was in grade 1 and 2 and then again in grade 7 to present. I am currently in high school, (still..due to screw up in high school) and will be graduating this year.

Again you are welcome to pm me to any time or just chat with me through here.

Welcome to this site, and enjoy your stay.
darkangel8603

I did see that, but it is not as interactive sa what it found here. That's why I kind of like this site more...

Welcome to AD.. yes, I know the feeling you are feeling right now - So keep your head up.. Peeps herea re pretty active and I agree there has been a lack of good sites for cochlear where people can share experiences and etc. Most of them are in mailing forms - but Im more of a forums type of person. I am currently working on a site that will contain forums for CI users and etc. So keep your eyes out for it.

Welcome again!

Hello Seibs, welcome to the site. I am not really that close to your age, I am an old bugger darn near 50 Yikes, except my wife says I am more like 5 not grown up yet...lol I am also late deafeaned which is not like your situation either, but glad you are here, and happy to swap stories, questions, answers or anything else you want any time, just let me know. :)

DefLord, there is hearingexchange, but that seems to be almost an infocommerical for oral schools and auditory-verbal therapy (VERY biased in other words)
What kind of content are you putting up? Like I think b/c you're a Deafie you could influence Deaf culture's feelings towards the CI. It would be nice to see a site that doesn't hype the CI, and is a lot more realistic about it.....

I might work on something like that.. But before I do anything like that, I want to gain some more experiences with my CI... The purpose of the site I am forming is for people who are interested and for people who have CI to share their experiences and more. And maybe for feedbacks and help and ideas. So, we'll see. But thank you for your suggestion!

Back