New sidewalk ramps in city help blind, deaf pedestrians

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
New sidewalk ramps in city help blind, deaf pedestrians - News - Standard Speaker

Small half-circles rising from plates near curbs are part of a new design for sidewalk ramps on Church Street.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is installing plates with pebbly surfaces to help people with visual impairments. By feeling the plates with their shoes or hearing a different sound when their cane taps the plates, the people will know that they are approaching an intersection.

Called truncated domes, the plates now are required by federal regulations.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is installing them during projects along roadways like Church Street where the ramps were built in the 1990s before the regulations took effect.

Money comes from federal stimulus funds.

In addition, the grade on ramps won't exceed 8.33 percent to accommodate all pedestrians and wheelchairs.

Al Mertz of Mobility Distributing, a McAdoo company that equips people to live independently, said he has seen truncated domes at new construction projects in places like Harrisburg and near the Beacon Diner on Route 309 in Hometown.

"I have never heard of any complaints. They ones I've seen are textured so they wouldn't be slippery. They were yellow," Mertz said.

Karen Dussinger, spokeswoman for PennDOT in Dunmore, said the Church Street work is part of a $1.59 million contract with Reading Materials for road and ramp renovations. Earlier this summer, the state hired contractors to put down truncated domes on Diamond Avenue at Laurel Street as part of renovations.

PennDOT allocated $32 million of stimulus money for 15 contracts for ramp projects around the state, Dussinger said. Also, the department is performing 85 resurfacing projects with $406 million in stimulus funding.

Statewide, she estimated the cost at $820 million for installing truncated domes on the 117,000 ramps that need them.

I think it's great. I like it. I dont rememebr if it were covered with ices before. i ll keep my eyes on it.

Interesting! I believe that Hear Again has been feeling the plates with their shoes or feeling cane taps the plates.

Notice that it says: "required by federal regulation" and "money comes from federal stimulus fund"...........now if we could only get federal regulation that ALL, ALL, ALL programs on tv had to be caption.....with the cost of caption coming from stimulus funds

I'm surprised this is news worthy. Those have been around for a long time. I use them too but I can tell if an intersection is coming from a dip in the sidewalk too or because I can hear the cars and feel the wind in front of me.

We have them all over West Palm Beach. The original ones were just raised bumps in the concrete, but now, they are smoothing them over and putting in the yellow plates with the raised bumps. We also got new sidewalks in the neighborhood and those yellow plates are at every street crossing.

Back