New RID test--is it passable???

Wirelessly posted

aslrocks58 said:
I have just gotten my results back from my 3rd attempt at the NIC. This is now the 8th certification test i have taken and failed. I have completed 6 different NIC prep workshops with a variety of presenters, Shonnuf's included. I found them all helpful in my preparations. Unfortunately none of them have gotten me any closer to a passing mark on the NIC test. There is apparently something about me that raters are not responding favorably too. I have an interpreting degree, 14 years interpreting experience, favorable feedback when working or just interacting with Deaf people, the encouragement of interpreting colleagues, mentors, etc. I just don't do well with subjective tests and that is really all the NIC is rating you on...How well do you take tests? My most recent result says that my skills haven't improved at all since I first began this journey straight out of terp school. I don't even know how to prepare since I felt the best about my performance this time than ever before and yet my score was the lowest possible. If i stood with my back to the camera and did nothing, i would have had the same score. So now its time to look to other career possibilities because the certification isn't going to happen through RID no matter how many times I take it. But i'm sure they'll be happy to continue collecting the fee. My head has been sufficiently bloodied from this particular brick wall. I surrender!

You took the words right out of my mouth. I don't have BA in interpreting. I know, that interpreting and sign language will always be with me. I will eventually, go back to testing NIC. Don't let any rater or test bring you down personally as an interpreter. I am always open for feedback and development. We can put our minds together and study hard:)

Kinda wanted to add my 2 cents about the NIC being passable...take a look in the VIEWS...people ARE passing. Many factors go into the pass/fail aspect though. Test anxiety, pressure to perform (for well-known and well-respected terps), personal factors (death in the family, divorce, etc.), being ILL PREPARED (for those who have been terping for some time and feel that this is just another test), and many more. I find that many terps fail to accept responsibility for how poorly they do on the test and find it easier to just blame the test. That makes no sense to me. Raters are monitored to be within the normal range of the other raters. If three raters give someone a LOW on some areas, chances are the person didn't do as well as s/he expected. This is a psychometrically valid and constantly monitored exam. I find it disheartening that terps will invalidate the test (and in turn, those who passed) rather than just doing some self-inventory. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, people are passing the test and many aren't. The skill levels of some of those who pass are judged by others as questionable, but those are subjective assessments. The performance test itself is subjective and seems to be a good predictor if a person is a skilled subjective test-taker. I can only speak to my own experience as a frequent (but unsuccessful) subjective test-taker. It has been 14 years since i graduated from my ITP. Since that time I have worked as an educational interpreter, freelance community interpreter in many different settings, at a school for the deaf, and as a foster parent for deaf child. I have worked with many mentors, both deaf and hearing, attended numerous workshops, several of them on NIC prep (including yours). I have gained valuable insights into my own professional development and testing strategies. Unfortunately, none of my work has resulted in improved test results. After testing 8 times in 10 years, and receiving lower marks each time, I begin to question the wisdom of preparation in my case and the validity of the test after so many times. And from talking with many colleagues in the area, I know I am not alone. I have arrived at the conclusion that until I can understand what I'm doing wrong, it is useless to continue to throw money at the organization. Unfortunately, my state of residence equates "certified" with "qualified" and severely limits non-certified interpreters access to interpreting work, thereby limiting those interpreters the opportunity to improve their skills through practice in the field until they are proficient enough to pass the test, even if they are actively pursuing certification. Moving to another state is not an option because I would have to leave a full-time job and a family. Unfortunately, despite having knowledge, education, skill, experience and the support of interpreting professionals and deaf consumers of my services i amd still not qualified to interpret.

Etoile: "Nobody says you HAVE to be certified to interpret... "Actually, they have declared that non-certified interpreters in my state cannot register for licensure with the state, and interpreting opportunities without that registration are very limited. It has forced many qualified interpreters out of the field or out of the state. I think the original intent was that more interpreters would feel compelled to pursue certification. Unfortunately the reality is that the reason some interpreters aren't certified is not for a lack of trying or lack of skill, but more that the standard is so arbitrary that even when studying/preparing "to the test" results are inconsistent and subjective. And since RID now holds the monopoly on "The Standard", there is no recourse but to leave the field. The shame of that is that the pool of interpreters was small to begin with and now it has shrunk substantially. Yes, more interpreters are passing than were before, because they are compelled by the state to test.

Etoile: "Nobody says you HAVE to be certified to interpret... "Actually, they have declared that non-certified interpreters in my state cannot register for licensure with the state, and interpreting opportunities without that registration are very limited. It has forced many qualified interpreters out of the field or out of the state. I think the original intent was that more interpreters would feel compelled to pursue certification. Unfortunately the reality is that the reason some interpreters aren't certified is not for a lack of trying or lack of skill, but more that the standard is so arbitrary that even when studying/preparing "to the test" results are inconsistent and subjective. And since RID now holds the monopoly on "The Standard", there is no recourse but to leave the field. The shame of that is that the pool of interpreters was small to begin with and now it has shrunk substantially. Yes, more interpreters are passing than were before, because they are compelled by the state to test.
Whoa, seriously?? What state is that? I never heard of this. It's ridiculous...the ADA says nothing about certification, it only says the interpreter should be qualified. A state shouldn't take the step of saying you need to be certified. And yeah, I understand that the jobs would be limited for someone who isn't licensed. Wow, I had no idea. :(

Whoa, seriously?? What state is that? I never heard of this. It's ridiculous...the ADA says nothing about certification, it only says the interpreter should be qualified. A state shouldn't take the step of saying you need to be certified. And yeah, I understand that the jobs would be limited for someone who isn't licensed. Wow, I had no idea. :(

LOTS of states have licensure laws that require national certification and/or a state evaluation in order to interpret.

Geez Louise! You guys are making me scared! :shock:

I've been teaching myself ASL for the past few weeks in preparation for my classes in the Spring and you guys make it seem like I'm in for a world of fail!

I've already learned one language (Japanese) and though ASL is a totally different animal, due to the physicality, I'm hoping I can absorb it as well as I absorbed Japanese.

Everyone learns differently, but maybe I should scan YouTube to see what I'm in for (in a few years) and see how this mythical test is conducted....

I don't know whether to feel hopeful or disenheartened after reading the posts here. I am very nervous as I am taking the test in 2 days. I graduated from ITP 2 years ago, and in my state this is the last year I can work without certification. This is my first (and hopefully last) time attempting to test. Does anybody have any advice (clearly, while following ethics and not telling me possible scenarios, etc.) for me? Even if it's advice on how to stay calm and not freak out, anything would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Wirelessly posted

Do share with us the outcome?

Back