New ASL Student.

logtar

Reaction score
Hi my name is John and I am hearing. Why am I here do you ask, well one I am learning ASL. I would some day like to be an interpreter, but we will see how that goes I want to be a part of the community first.

Please excuse me if I say anything wrong, I am still learning and new to this.

My interest came from having a friend that was deaf during my teen years. She was the nighboor of one of my best friends back in Chicago and we got to use TTY a couple of times and exchanged letter, but I was always frustrated because we could never communicate as well as I would have liked face to face.

I always said I would learn ASL, and now I am in a class :)

What got me here was searching around, I just watched "For a deaf son" and was looking to see where I can get the Video, and during my search I found out that Tommy had commited suicide this past winter. This saddened me quite a bit, but I am putting a little post together for my blog in his memory.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys :)

No.. I'm the real John

Hi my name is John and I am hearing. Why am I here do you ask, well one I am learning ASL. I would some day like to be an interpreter.

I don't know who that John above me is.. but he's obviously an IMPOSTOR!

He he.. Hi John. We seem to share names and goals.

Welcome.

Welcome to Alldeaf 'logtar' aka John, have fun reading and posting in here, also, hope your stay will be a pleasant one! It's nice to see 'hearing' people take interest in our culture and be a part of it as well...I sure can understand the frustration it must have been for you, but now that you're learning to use ASL, hopefully that will allow you to overcome those frustrations...and lastly, follow your heart if you ever feel like becoming an interpreter and many lives will be touched by your helpful skills! Welcome aboard!! :)

Thanks for the welcome. I know that learning ASL is only a little step towards learning the culture, but I have an awesome teacher that takes that into concideration.

Hey, logtar, I'm a newbie myself....a hearing woman who, like you, wants to learn ASL as well as the culture. Whew! Glad I'm not the only one around here, then! :) People have been real friendly and welcoming to me since I've joined...I'm sure you'll feel just as comofortable, too.

Good Reasons

I am a new user also. Just read your memo and I believe your goals are righteous. I let nothing stop me from reaching my goals. Am HOH with 3 sons, one is deaf. Got into the deaf community when my youngest was born. Am managing a successful carreer on an international scale. I work mostly in Africa. In Algeria right now. Have many friends deaf here too. Hope you like AD. Will post my own intro tomorrow.
Bo

Welcomb Bo... so far so good :) I am not a total post whore yet, but eventually will become one :) when I get some time.

:wave: to all the newbies in here along with logtar -- welcome to AD guys and enjoy ur stay! :D

Back