Need help with Bilingual/Bicultural Education programs?

vblakely

Reaction score
Hi,

I am working a project for Deaf Education Class at the California School for the Deaf. My project is on the Bilingual/Bicultural approach to education for the deaf. I have to do the "Con" and some one else got the "pro". Anyway, does anyone have any information on the "Cons" or disadvantages of the Bi/Bi education program? Any thoughts on how you feel about the program? Anyone go through the program or was taught through that method?

Thanks for your help.
Val

vblakely said:
Hi,

I am working a project for Deaf Education Class at the California School for the Deaf. My project is on the Bilingual/Bicultural approach to education for the deaf. I have to do the "Con" and some one else got the "pro". Anyway, does anyone have any information on the "Cons" or disadvantages of the Bi/Bi education program? Any thoughts on how you feel about the program? Anyone go through the program or was taught through that method?

Thanks for your help.
Val

Val....
In my own perspective...maybe others dont agree or do agree...ok the cons about Bi/Bi...sometime people have to wear 2 different caps to take role as who they are associating with...sometime it can be confuse..for the main reason when a person is identified as Hard of Hearing (as for example), this person have skill in speaking well and do use ASL very good...when a HoH person stand and chat with profoundly deaf person and chat as normal until hearing person come into and dont know how to sign...so HoH person stop using sign and speak to this hearing person..so therefore deaf person stood felt confusion and trying to understand the HoH person's identify as being considered hearing person or HoH person...often of time, I spoke with many HoH people..they said they are blended up between two worlds...deaf and hearing people so they stood in middle...carrying 2 different main languages, can be confused and understanding deaf and hearing general culture. Get it?
Any more qqq let me know...

Back