Murderball

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
http://www.murderballmovie.com/

I recieved an email:
On July 8th we opened MURDERBALL in theatres in both NY and Los Angeles.
The film, which was launched at the Sundance Film Festival in January (where it won the Audience Award for Best Documentary,) got better Reviews than any other film released this year thus far. It got enormous amounts of attention from all the mainstream media-media that is normally reluctant to devote time and space to low-budget independent films, no matter how acclaimed.

But, MURDERBALL overcame all those perception issues and landed multi-page features in important magazines and valuable interview slots on several important national television talk shows. Everyone who sees the film loves it, and one of the most talked-about aspects of the film is that it portrays people with disabilities as people. Gone was the pity, as well as the self-pity. MURDERBALL is that rare commodity-an entertainment that depicts people with disabilities living full and successful lives.

MURDERBALL had everything going for it (including a heavy advertising budget.) What it DIDN'T have was an audience. The fact is, the film opened slowly and, in its second week, it has failed to build. At the moment, its prospects for theatrical longevity are threatened. Our research shows that people are staying away because they have a prejudice; they just don't want
to see certain things at the movies. It appears they don't want to see disabled people on screen. Those of you who live with this prejudice on a daily basis, those of you that work with disabled people may recognize this phenomenon, but please don't stand for it. Go watch the movie. Take someone. Challenge others to go.

If those of you closest to the issues don't give the film a boost from now until early August, what chance does it have with a squeamish non-disabled audience?

MURDERBALL opens in the top 10 markets on Friday, July 22nd, and top 30 on July 29th. Its theatrical destiny beyond this coming weekend will be painfully hort if the box office isn't there.

MURDERBALL needs to be seen; it certainly needs to be seen by YOU.

You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by seeing MURDERBALL in a
theater this JULY.

A brief story about the Murderball: From the gyms of middle America to the Olympic arena in Athens, Greece, MURDERBALL tells the story of a group of world-class athletes unlike any ever shown on screen. In addition to smashing chairs, it will smash every stereotype you ever had about the disabled. It is a film about family, revenge, honor, sex (yes, they can) and the triumph of love over loss. But most of all, it is a film about standing up, even after your spirit - and your spine - has been crushed.

To find this movie near you, go to this webpage: http://www.thinkfilmcompany.com/schedule/films/murderball/

Unforunately, I am not sure if they do provide open-captioning or rear-window. Kind of irony-- a movie about disability may not have CC. Hopefully the movie in your area will have CC for your own pleasure. :)

Pass it on. :ily: we need to support this kind of movie to spread awareness...!

gnarlydorkette said:
http://www.murderballmovie.com/

I recieved an email:

A brief story about the Murderball: From the gyms of middle America to the Olympic arena in Athens, Greece, MURDERBALL tells the story of a group of world-class athletes unlike any ever shown on screen. In addition to smashing chairs, it will smash every stereotype you ever had about the disabled. It is a film about family, revenge, honor, sex (yes, they can) and the triumph of love over loss. But most of all, it is a film about standing up, even after your spirit - and your spine - has been crushed.

To find this movie near you, go to this webpage: http://www.thinkfilmcompany.com/schedule/films/murderball/

Unforunately, I am not sure if they do provide open-captioning or rear-window. Kind of irony-- a movie about disability may not have CC. Hopefully the movie in your area will have CC for your own pleasure. :)

Pass it on. :ily: we need to support this kind of movie to spread awareness...!

Yep, I saw on WheelChairJunkie and other news about muderballs. I would see movie, if they provide either open or rearview captions or wait for next 6 month to get a Murderball DVD..

Back