More Students signing up for courses in sign language!

DeafVeggie said:
If any readers who have any ties to USC's higher brasses whose are bird-brained, please explain to them that we need to have their decisions reversed so that can have more terps in the near future.

"USC does not view ASL as a foreign language because ASL does not foster cross-cultural communication."

This kind of thing makes me CRAZY. That statement is completely untrue! I think I'm going to send a copy of "Reading Between the Signs" to that dean.

i think we should also think about the kind of people who are teaching the asl classes. there are people who grew up learning see or pse and now are teaching these asl classes over in new hampshire. i bumped into a hearing friend who is taking classes in concord, and she was showing me the new signs she learned. i had to correct her so she would know the proper asl usage and not what her teacher had taught her!!! :squint:

DeafVeggie said:
If you are thinking about going to USC, you will need to think twice. Read this.

USC is an insult to all of us...

If any readers who have any ties to USC's higher brasses whose are bird-brained, please explain to them that we need to have their decisions reversed so that can have more terps in the near future.

~DV
Give them some electro-convulsive therapy (Electricity Shock treatment).

Cheri, that's good news!

Selena said:
i think we should also think about the kind of people who are teaching the asl classes. there are people who grew up learning see or pse and now are teaching these asl classes over in new hampshire. i bumped into a hearing friend who is taking classes in concord, and she was showing me the new signs she learned. i had to correct her so she would know the proper asl usage and not what her teacher had taught her!!! :squint:

Oy, I have had that problem. It isn't always even that the teachers sign PSE or SEE, they just sign using old signs. My teacher is 73, hearing, and signs a lil bit English, but more just way out-of-date. For example, he signed "silly" at his right temple, rather than at the nose. Hearing teachers tend to be more off in their signs, whether they are trying to do it the "proper, interpreter way" or if they are just out of touch, but all of them have different styles. All of my teachers have been over 50 (I'm barely 18), so it's been really good to go to deaf events to see how younger people sign. But, as I'm a hs student taking community college classes, I have never signed with someone my age, they've always been a little bit older. I can't wait to go to CSUN this fall, yay! I got to pick my dorm today! (way ot I know, sorry)

signer16 said:
Oy, I have had that problem. It isn't always even that the teachers sign PSE or SEE, they just sign using old signs. My teacher is 73, hearing, and signs a lil bit English, but more just way out-of-date.

That is so true, because it happen to me too, When I learned how to sign and in 6th grade they taught me to sign "yes" with a letter "Y" But, when I got into another community when I enrolled in High school they taught me "Yes" as a sign as a fist. I think it depends on each city or location that teaches sign language in a different way. I know someone from NewYork signed "Gay" as "soon" I sign "Gay" as "Gay". Everyone signs differently. I guess we can just learn from each other, Nobody is wrong. It's fun to learn their signs and our signs. ;)

I agree and my mom uses a little SEE and I noticed that she signed the words differently from most of qualified interpreters. For example:
deaf = circle "D" around the ear
hear = Same as deaf, but use "H"
understand = "D" touches the upper left head
overcome = two separate words of "over " and "come"

I don't blame her for limited SEE and I understand lips, but I believe that ASL students should also use SEE so that they will know how to interpret using both in certain environments like classes. ASL can be only used if a deaf person is an ASLer. I am more familiar with English because of SEE and I am learning ASL structures through the interpreters.

Back