Miss Deaf International - TWO Thumbs DOWN

chick4eva

Reaction score
The WHOLE pageant SUCKED!!! There was NOTHING that went right!

1 hour and 15 minutes LATE?!?!?

MC wasn't that great. She called the ladies "pageant" instead of "contestants"

CEO talked TOOOO LONG!!! It was not about you.

HOW could you make a mistake with the top ten? HOW HOW HOW HOW?!?!?!? HOWWW!!!??? You were so insensitive to Miss Deaf Beijing. If you cannot read correctly, KEEP them TOP 11. The audience would think there was a tie.

The swimwear was repetitive. 45 minutes wait. Swimwear again? This wasn't right.

Because of all the above and the below, the audience did not pay attention. A lot of them were talking and pinpointing all downfalls of this pageant.

The people who bought ticket for $45 sat in $105 tickets. The ushers did not do a good job.

Um, media table in the front of the audience?! This is UNHEARD OF! How could CEO say "The people in audience are complaining... what can you do about it?" Um, complaining?! They PAID a ticket to watch the pageant, not the media's butts. And then CEO walked away as if it wasn't her problem! Big time OUCH.

Program book was HORRIBLE!! I mean, HORRIBLE!! Pictures of committees. Pictures of MCs. Pictures of entertainers (by the way HALF of them did not show up) and NO pictures of IMPORTANT people of them all: CONTESTANTS????? You really disrespected the contestants in every way possible. Oh, yes... the contestants literally ate pizzas everyday. Um, health & fitness? I think not.

I have never, never, never seen a program book with time of order. Yes, order of appearance, but with TIME? It says like "7:00 - pageant starts, 7:05- introduction of blah" Like.. um. Do your committees REALLY know what they're doing?

CEO has 4 children and they all served important roles on MDI. Conflict much? I believe the original director was demoted and CEO's OWN SON took the role as a director? I do not see what's right with this picture.

10 contestants with 10+ judges? I think there were like 11 or 12 judges. The boat should never weight more on the judges side. Joel Barrish served as one of the judges and he publicly announced that he knows NOTHING about the pageant and that all contestants "looked the same". Talk about incompetent committees.

The pageant was NOT worth $5. I'm sorry to say. It sucked BADLY.

National Association of the Deaf runs their Miss Deaf America MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than Miss Deaf International.

Time to call in professionals to run the MDI pageant.

This took place during the World Deaf Expo in Las Vegas last month, right?

chick4eva - are you Miss Deaf Beijing? you were hot :wave:

Yes, I heard some horror stories about MDI mishap. After I was told of these stories, I was not very impressed with CEO. Believe it or not, I do know CEO in person and dislike how CEO managed MDI. It was a huge, embarrassing mess. I feel bad for those contestants. :eek3:

The WHOLE pageant SUCKED!!! There was NOTHING that went right!

1 hour and 15 minutes LATE?!?!?

MC wasn't that great. She called the ladies "pageant" instead of "contestants"

CEO talked TOOOO LONG!!! It was not about you.

HOW could you make a mistake with the top ten? HOW HOW HOW HOW?!?!?!? HOWWW!!!??? You were so insensitive to Miss Deaf Beijing. If you cannot read correctly, KEEP them TOP 11. The audience would think there was a tie.

The swimwear was repetitive. 45 minutes wait. Swimwear again? This wasn't right.

Because of all the above and the below, the audience did not pay attention. A lot of them were talking and pinpointing all downfalls of this pageant.

The people who bought ticket for $45 sat in $105 tickets. The ushers did not do a good job.

Um, media table in the front of the audience?! This is UNHEARD OF! How could CEO say "The people in audience are complaining... what can you do about it?" Um, complaining?! They PAID a ticket to watch the pageant, not the media's butts. And then CEO walked away as if it wasn't her problem! Big time OUCH.

Program book was HORRIBLE!! I mean, HORRIBLE!! Pictures of committees. Pictures of MCs. Pictures of entertainers (by the way HALF of them did not show up) and NO pictures of IMPORTANT people of them all: CONTESTANTS????? You really disrespected the contestants in every way possible. Oh, yes... the contestants literally ate pizzas everyday. Um, health & fitness? I think not.

I have never, never, never seen a program book with time of order. Yes, order of appearance, but with TIME? It says like "7:00 - pageant starts, 7:05- introduction of blah" Like.. um. Do your committees REALLY know what they're doing?

CEO has 4 children and they all served important roles on MDI. Conflict much? I believe the original director was demoted and CEO's OWN SON took the role as a director? I do not see what's right with this picture.

10 contestants with 10+ judges? I think there were like 11 or 12 judges. The boat should never weight more on the judges side. Joel Barrish served as one of the judges and he publicly announced that he knows NOTHING about the pageant and that all contestants "looked the same". Talk about incompetent committees.

The pageant was NOT worth $5. I'm sorry to say. It sucked BADLY.

National Association of the Deaf runs their Miss Deaf America MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than Miss Deaf International.

Time to call in professionals to run the MDI pageant.

The food were already ran out while about half of the audience were waiting to get them in a lineup. Most of them left the MDI to have dinner outside.

$45? My friend's wife and her friends paid $85 each and they had to sit on the floor. Of course they were not too happy with what was going on there.

Yes 10 or so judges were way too many.

Some of the contestants were shitty in talent competition.

This pains me to no end.

I was walking by and a japanese dude was asking me if "This is how America run things".. I was furious.

That's so unfortunate, esp since this was international.....who is the CEO?

Bonita Leek of Las Vegas is the CEO just because she established Miss Deaf USA and Miss Deaf International.

Believe me, she does not know how to run a pageant. She did not treat her committees well. I saw this with my own eyes while watching the preliminaries.

Bonita Leek, yeah... You are right.. She does not know how to run a pageant. All she is interested: MONEY.

Agreed with OP. I was there and it was very poorly planned event. Although I enjoy to watch ASL storytellers but I think its too much to have four ASL storytellers for MDI - it disrupts timing and flow of MDI.

maybe having it at same time as Expo was just a bad idea, it failed.
and ofc Expo was about money too, not just the beauty contest..

deaf international fai

it seems that Bonita Leek assumed her arrogance would hide her lack of competence. she is not the first person to do this, deaf or hearing.

Heard how bad it went. I thought from the beginning when I saw the photos of the Pageant contestants and where they came from; that it's not professional.

I mean who have heard of Miss Shanghai and Miss Beijing in a professional pageant?

I saw Bonita Leek in person and it seems she thinks highly of herself, although I might be wrong.

So glad I didn't spend a cent on tickets to the Deaf Pageant.

Back