GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the link on what I'm learning:
Lesson Tutor: ASL Everyday Phrases

Here's the English sentence: "May I go with you?"

Could there be a difference between "me with" or "me with you?"

Also, is it practical to skip most of Series 2 but start with Lesson 11: Part 1 and continue from there? If I completed Series 1, Series 3, and Series 2's Lesson 11 and 12, I think this could make it easier for me. The reason why I ask is I don't see a point on learning signs for animals and grasslands because if I do that early, it's kinda hard to grasp what I've learned and try to keep it in memory. So to me (I know it's my choice), since Series 1 and 3 would be used mostly everyday (and possibly food), I can learn animals later, like when I go out on animal trips and learn signs from there.

I'm hoping to learn ASL at Tallahassee Comminity College (TCC for short), but I'm learning ahead of time, so if need be, I can refresh my memory.

Thanks.

That site looks like "survival ASL" to me, sort of like a phrasebook you'd buy if you were visiting a foreign country.

There are tons of ways to say anything in ASL, just like in any language. If someone asked me "how do you say 'can I go with you?' in ASL," I'd ask them what the context was. Whether you sign "ME WITH" or "ME WITH YOU" or "DON'T-MIND US-TWO GO TOGETHER QQ" or anything else depends on the situation.

If you're just starting to learn ASL I think as long as you're making yourself understood, it's fine. Once you know more about grammar, syntax, vocabulary, and so forth, you'll develop your own "voice" (so to speak).

I hope this makes sense, my brain isn't working well at the moment. :ugh3:

Yes, generally I'd prefer the "DON'T-MIND" version because it's more of a polite request. The English sentence is "May I go with you?", so the equivalent should be a polite request. But a lot depends on the setting, the relationship of the people involved (equal friends, employee and boss, student and teacher, etc.), and the destination (restroom, business meeting, wedding, etc.).

But as Interpretrator said, for a beginner just wanting basic communication, use whatever works for the two of you. :P

I would sign "DON'T MIND JOIN" with my friends...the direction of join would show that it was me....for emphasis, maybe "DON'T MIND ME JOIN" with eyebrows up of course :)

I mostly use Pidgen's (mixture of ESL & ASL)... but normally I would sign, with eyebrows raised in a question-like expression, "CAN ME GO WITH YOU?"

That site looks like "survival ASL" to me, sort of like a phrasebook you'd buy if you were visiting a foreign country.

There are tons of ways to say anything in ASL, just like in any language. If someone asked me "how do you say 'can I go with you?' in ASL," I'd ask them what the context was. Whether you sign "ME WITH" or "ME WITH YOU" or "DON'T-MIND US-TWO GO TOGETHER QQ" or anything else depends on the situation.

If you're just starting to learn ASL I think as long as you're making yourself understood, it's fine. Once you know more about grammar, syntax, vocabulary, and so forth, you'll develop your own "voice" (so to speak).

I hope this makes sense, my brain isn't working well at the moment. :ugh3:

Hi Interpretrator: What is QQ? is that two q's side by side? Is it a classifier? What does it represent?

I don't think that any ASL manual would help you.

ASL is something that's loosely translated because people use ASL differently.

I've seen interpreters who sign better and worse ASL than deaf students.

I've seen some students that people say are very fluent in ASL, but it makes no sense at all to me.

Hi Interpretrator: What is QQ? is that two q's side by side? Is it a classifier? What does it represent?

In a TTY (teletypewriter for the deaf and hearing impaired), QQ stands for a question mark. So in that case: "Don't-mind us-two go together?"

It represents the sign that is the index finger curling up and down, that some people use to indicate a question.

It has another meaning in Internet slang, politely stated "tough noogies." :)

So in that case: "Don't-mind us-two go together?"

More specifically, with the question sign at the end. I use it in certain cases but not others. It can also be used by itself to mean "Really?" Like

CHOCOLATE, DON'T-LIKE ("I don't like chocolate.")
QQ ("Really???")

Or at least I've seen it used that way, don't know if it's standard.

It represents the sign that is the index finger curling up and down, that some people use to indicate a question.

It has another meaning in Internet slang, politely stated "tough noogies." :)

More specifically, with the question sign at the end. I use it in certain cases but not others. It can also be used by itself to mean "Really?" Like

CHOCOLATE, DON'T-LIKE ("I don't like chocolate.")
QQ ("Really???")

Or at least I've seen it used that way, don't know if it's standard.

Oh ok so QQ just means question question. Got it thanks

Back