Losing 95% of hearing...

iamcute

Reaction score
how bad is losing 95% hearing?? i have a friend who lost his hearing at the age of two, and lost 95%.. but he considers himself as hoh. also, he speaks very well, that people almost overlook the fact that he is deaf, and doesn't provide him what he needs at work. he even talks on the phone, although he has a really hard time. im asking you guys (hope it's not too stupid of a question), b/c i just want to hear from everyone else... how bad is it? also, is there such a term "deafer" or any other words that compare themselves with other deaf people? do deaf people compare themselves as in, "he is deafer than i am"? and if that is so, how is that measured? hearing percentage or capabilities?

im still learning... so if i ask stupid questions... feel free to say harsh things. or correct me if i am wrong. i'd understand. i don't mean to offend anyone. i sorry.

I agree, you are suppost to measure losses in decibels. There is a way of saying "you are deafer than me", they have mild, moderate, severe, profound, etc...

Percentages are useless... Any audiologist who gives degree of deafness in percentages is an idiot. It's a lot easier to understand deafness with the degrees of severity... Mild is 25 - 35 dB. Moderate is 35 - 45 dB. Moderately severe is 45 - 60 dB. Severe is 65 - 80 dB. Profound is above 80 dB.

In terms of comparing the degree of one's deafness to that of another, I'm not the only person I know who has used the terms 'more deaf' and 'less deaf' to compare relative severity of deafness.

perhaps i am the idiot... i think if my friend had given me a dbk measurement, i would be like whhhaat?? what's that?... no never heard of it. maybe he was just giving me an idea how bad it is... thus giving me a percentage, i guess in comparison to normal hearing???... but i still can't picture it. i will ask him again, but this time in db. then i will do a research so i can get a better understanding how hearing ls measured. thanks guy.. im learning.

95%

well lets see here, i have lost 95% of my hearing to.. and when an Audio doc says that ... it means that i have lost the full spectum of sound ..from low high..... ergo... voice range gone music gone... i mean come on there is no person out there with 95% hearing gone...and have 5% left in the voice range ... just does not happen......

when you talk about dbs...with 95% gone it dones not fucking matter!!!!
i work on motorcycle, drag bikes .. that make 200 dbs.. i feel the bike not, hear it.. uless i am 6 inches from the exhaust pipe...then i may hear my own scream as the bike sets my hair on fire!!!lololol :laugh2:

The fact that he can use a phone says that it is unlikely to be 95%. Probably a severe loss or moderate loss.

ok.. i asked my friend and he says he has hearing loss of 95 decibels.. he really meant decibels...not percent... i misunderstood. :giggle:

umm.. he talks on the phone with a hearing aid.. and he can only talk to people with familiar voices...

plain wrong

the speach range is 79 to 85 dbs... so your pal has no clue what he is talking about. you can loose FREQUENCY...high pitch....low pitch and still hear voices....dbs has to do with volume...

cat pur..40 dbs..human voice 83 (ave)..lawn mower 110.. jet plain 130... my last dragbike running on nitromethain....200 dbs!!!! gave 3 people a nose bleed when it backfired!!! :shock:

if a person has a flat across the board 50% lose in every frequency....a hearing aid can jack the volume up... to "normal" but almost never happens. every person loses diffent frequencies at different times....which is why the computerized aids are so much better than just an

in any case i really do not give a flying monkey fart anymore :wackit: , since hearing aids do not help and and a CI costs 35 grand...if i had that much i would use it for a house...

vfr said:
the speach range is 79 to 85 dbs... so your pal has no clue what he is talking about. you can loose FREQUENCY...high pitch....low pitch and still hear voices....dbs has to do with volume...

cat pur..40 dbs..human voice 83 (ave)..lawn mower 110.. jet plain 130... my last dragbike running on nitromethain....200 dbs!!!! gave 3 people a nose bleed when it backfired!!! :shock:

if a person has a flat across the board 50% lose in every frequency....a hearing aid can jack the volume up... to "normal" but almost never happens. every person loses diffent frequencies at different times....which is why the computerized aids are so much better than just an

in any case i really do not give a flying monkey fart anymore :wackit: , since hearing aids do not help and and a CI costs 35 grand...if i had that much i would use it for a house...

hrmm.. very interesting. i am more confused now.... im sure i'll get it eventually... i dunno... i told him to turn off his hearing aid today... for some reason, he refused to talk when he took them off?.. is it cuz he can't hear what he's saying???...

anyways, i like ur attitude ........ ;)

Last edited:
iamcute said:
ok.. i asked my friend and he says he has hearing loss of 95 decibels.. he really meant decibels...not percent... i misunderstood. :giggle:

umm.. he talks on the phone with a hearing aid.. and he can only talk to people with familiar voices...

Yeah, it helps to talk to familiar people with whom you already know how their speech patterns are. But there are still some women, a couple of employees, who have their voices in JUST the wrong pitch that I can't understand them worth a sh1t. Talking on the phone with a hoh like me...sometimes people talk louder, but that just makes the vowels run together, and sometimes when I tell them I'm partially deaf they actually talk softer, but articulate better. Even. When. People. Talk. Too. Slow. It. Sux. 'cuz. You. Have. To. Remember. The. Other. Words. To. Put. Them. Together. Finally. To. Get. The. Sentence. Sometimes it's a bitch to find that right balance with the person.

And my boss is from India. I LOATHE speaking with him on the phone. He mispronounces words and tries to say them exactly like they are spelled...even the silent vowels and consonants in words. :pissed:

The phone can be a frustrating and humbling experience.

But I don't understand why your friend doesn't talk with his aids off. I do, but just not too much. I want to hear myself. :cheers:

Scoping him out to be a boyfriend?

DarrenD said:
Yeah, it helps to talk to familiar people with whom you already know how their speech patterns are. But there are still some women, a couple of employees, who have their voices in JUST the wrong pitch that I can't understand them worth a sh1t. Talking on the phone with a hoh like me...sometimes people talk louder, but that just makes the vowels run together, and sometimes when I tell them I'm partially deaf they actually talk softer, but articulate better. Even. When. People. Talk. Too. Slow. It. Sux. 'cuz. You. Have. To. Remember. The. Other. Words. To. Put. Them. Together. Finally. To. Get. The. Sentence. Sometimes it's a bitch to find that right balance with the person.

And my boss is from India. I LOATHE speaking with him on the phone. He mispronounces words and tries to say them exactly like they are spelled...even the silent vowels and consonants in words. :pissed:

The phone can be a frustrating and humbling experience.

But I don't understand why your friend doesn't talk with his aids off. I do, but just not too much. I want to hear myself. :cheers:

Scoping him out to be a boyfriend?

well.. i like him and all... cuz right now, he is the closest friend i have, and i love to tease him a whole lot, but we have wayyy to much in common... and wayy too different... get what i am saying. so no, i am not scoping him out to be my boyfriend. i love him though, even though his deaf, he is the best listener ever!!!

yes, i tried to make him talk without his hearing aid, but he wouldn't.. he couldn't even last without them.... one day he told me that he lost or broke his hearing aid at work, and he almost went crazy!!...

iamcute said:
well.. i like him and all... cuz right now, he is the closest friend i have, and i love to tease him a whole lot, but we have wayyy to much in common... and wayy too different... get what i am saying. so no, i am not scoping him out to be my boyfriend. i love him though, even though his deaf, he is the best listener ever!!!

yes, i tried to make him talk without his hearing aid, but he wouldn't.. he couldn't even last without them.... one day he told me that he lost or broke his hearing aid at work, and he almost went crazy!!...

That's why I quit using hearing aids. I feel much more free without them.

As to 95 db, that would be a profound loss. I doubt that it is 95 db at all frequencies, and that is why he can use a phone.

dkf747 said:
That's why I quit using hearing aids. I feel much more free without them.

As to 95 db, that would be a profound loss. I doubt that it is 95 db at all frequencies, and that is why he can use a phone.

can you still hear without your hearing aids? just wondering... if not, how are you able to communicate/socialize with the hearing world?... pls don't knock me out...ok.. you can if you want.... :dizzy: :dizzy:

vfr, sorry no......there's a percentage of people with profound losses who can significently benifit (like they are functionally hoh) from hearing aids.

iamcute said:
can you still hear without your hearing aids? just wondering... if not, how are you able to communicate/socialize with the hearing world?... pls don't knock me out...ok.. you can if you want.... :dizzy: :dizzy:

I hear some, but not a lot. I write, use an interpreter, mime, or whhatever. I've got a good voice, so me talking to them is not a problem. I just hate the dependence on a hearing aid. I want to be able to function when the battery is dead, or the HA is lost, or gets soaked in water, etc....

reread it

deafdyke said:
vfr, sorry no......there's a percentage of people with profound losses who can significently benifit (like they are functionally hoh) from hearing aids.

like i said..the newer computerized aids work better than just an amplifier of the older ones. i never said they did not help other people ..i said they do not help ME!
and after years of dealing with with foreign acents , due to living in japan and europe,playing soccer in south america..and racing motorcycles in america.... i am pretty aware of my limitations.... but i am good enough at lip reading.

i slowlly went deaf...and my lip reading slowly went up. my self and other people were aproched by the FBI to read lips of a suspect in a restraunt and other places.
the people were arrested due to the info i picked up by lip reading from a mirror.another was picked up due to my pal lip reading though a snipers scope!!! that was cool!
i can read lips from the side if i know the people for more than a few days....

i met sean connery(007) a few years ago ,after he had throat surgery and could not use his voice. he was writing on a pad a nd people were writing back!! he mouthed " stupid assholes!" i just cracked up!!! so i helped him out for a an hour or so. he was so happy to be free from writing ..even for an hour!!!

in any case... that was off the point...every person is diferent...every one has their own qirks.....

Back