Looking to convert to the Blackberry ways - Help naisho choose a blackberry

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Ok, I think it's probably about time soon that I upgrade to the blackberry world. But I am in no rush, I have a lot of patience. I still have really old phones that I use for misc purposes.

Here's my thoughts:
  • Unlocked phone - needs unlocking so I can use it with whatever and wherever.
  • Budget- around $200 max, I am a dirt cheap guy and would go cheaper if I could find them, but I'm not getting much luck. There's always fleabay for the last resort.

What I usually do for my cell phone, aside from the usual phone functions:
  • MP3 - for exercising
  • Web surfing - check out AD sometimes, or act as an internet connection for my laptop
  • (my Palm Tungsten) - Write down important notes and info

Aside from that, I'm looking at either getting..
Blackberry 8100
Blackberry 8320
Blackberry 8700

Are there further models coming out that I should be aware of? I saw threads about the Blackberry storm and the Blackberry Curve 8900. Except for the newness and sex appeal factors, what do they have to offer over these other blackberries?

I have a question about these though. Why are the 8700 cheaper than the 8100/8320?

8100 seems to be running around $~150-200 not on sale
8320 seems to be around $180-200+ not on sale
8700 some of them seem to be like $80 on ebay....

I haven't done too much researching about the differences between them, would appreciate if someone knowledgeable about it can share with me. I would rather not prefer to talk to the phone rep, because I am a person that doesn't like to listen to their continual "advice".

Depends on what carrier are you planning to use. I have Blackberry Bold (9000), it can do what you needed.

I use Cingular, but now AT&T due to the merge.
I would like it if the 'berry is unlocked so if and when I change future plans, I can reuse the same phone.
What differences would the carriers make for the blackberries? Are we talking plan specific or option specific?

I would like it if the 'berry is unlocked so if and when I change future plans, I can reuse the same phone.
What differences would the carriers make for the blackberries? Are we talking plan specific or option specific?

for ie - if you use BB for Cingular/AT&T.... you won't be able to use it for Verizon. Other than that... function/OS are exactly same.

Yeah...my phone was under cingular then the transistion went smoothly from Cingular to AT&T when my phone was branded Cingular.

Yeah...my phone was under cingular then the transistion went smoothly from Cingular to AT&T when my phone was branded Cingular.

Same here. I've got the Blackberry Curve. I'm not really big on specifics but I'll say that it is the best cell phone i've ever had. I've got the full data plan which naturally includes internet, email and unlimited text messaging. Can also be used as mp3 player. However, being the iPod nut that I am, I don't use that feature.

I love it so much...when my 2 year contract runs out, i'll probably stick with Crackberry. :D

Same here. I had AT&T 8525 with Cingular brand on it.

The reason I asked because some carriers have different models than other carriers. As for an example, Blackberry Storm is exclusive only at Verizon and Blackberry 9000 (Bold) and iPhone are exclusive only at AT&T and goes on.

for ie - if you use BB for Cingular/AT&T.... you won't be able to use it for Verizon. Other than that... function/OS are exactly same.

That's interesting. I never had an experience on that. I was wondering what if I decided to switch to different carrier and will the new carrier's SIM work on my smartphone.

Hmm... I see. I knew that verizon and sprint doesn't use the GSM SIM system, as they are CDMA.

But that was the purpose of why I wondered about unlocked blackberries for T-mobile and AT&T, you guys know about that right?

If you have an unlocked blackberry, you can swap in a tmobile or at&t sim cards without even having to do anything, just plug and play w/o restrictions. That's one purpose of why I was planning on getting an unlocked version.

Hmm... I see. I knew that verizon and sprint doesn't use the GSM SIM system, as they are CDMA.

But that was the purpose of why I wondered about unlocked blackberries for T-mobile and AT&T, you guys know about that right?

If you have an unlocked blackberry, you can swap in a tmobile or at&t sim cards without even having to do anything, just plug and play w/o restrictions. That's one purpose of why I was planning on getting an unlocked version.

because the foreign country has GSM like Japan & Europe. Korea is CDMA. (correct me if I'm wrong). That's the purpose of unlocked cell.

Yea, That's mainly why I'm preferring unlocked at the moment. I think I will plan to keep the BB for at least 3+ -5 years, and if I ever had to change plans/providers or move countries.. then I don't have to worry about getting a new cell.

Yea, That's mainly why I'm preferring unlocked at the moment. I think I will plan to keep the BB for at least 3+ -5 years, and if I ever had to change plans/providers or move countries.. then I don't have to worry about getting a new cell.

I just googled for "unlocked Blackberry" and I came across an interesting article (ehh, FAQ) How do I unlock my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Get a Blackberry Bold or Curve -- FTW. (I own BB Bold :cool2:)

I have two unit of Cingular Blackberry 7290 and T-Mobile Blackberry 8700G. I want to sell BB 8700 and give away BB 7290. If interesting, let me know.

8300 series Curve last year model then Bold then now Storm.

8700 and 8100 series bb are old. That's why 8700 are cheap.

I have Sprint BB Curve 8330 which have video ready. I have unlimited Data plan only and free Phone As Modem (up to 5gb cap).

Concerning abt SiM card in BB 8330, I don't see it in my Curve! So Jiro is right, it's not GSM SIM.

Try getting Curve 8320 which have WIFI built in. Why I suggesting cuz of updated OS and more internal memory than older model. Plus more features in it.

My curve have 83mb internal memory while older Curve have 32mb internal memory. This allow me to have more applications and games. Also I use 8gb MicroSD memory card in BB curve to allow me to transfer converted dvd movies, Ebook (mobipocket), photos, and many more.

Remmy that if u get curve with OS 4.2, u only can insert 4gb MicroSD card, not bigger. While upgrade OS to 4.5 allow u to insert 8Gb MicroSD. Just FYI.

Catty

Back