Letter: Students need community help to save NCSD

Judge Terror

Reaction score
Brittany Jones

Published: May 26, 2009

Greensboro, NC - I am a senior and president of Student Body Government at the North Carolina School for the Deaf in Morganton.
I am strongly disagreeing that NCSD should be closed.
I formerly was a student at Central North Carolina School for the Deaf at Greensboro. When I found out that CNCSD was going to be closed in 2001, I was very upset about it, because CNCSD was like my home. CNCSD teachers didn't want to lose the children they loved. All of us were shocked and didn't know what to do next.
We had no choice but going to either of two different deaf schools in North Carolina. I accepted going to NCSD.
I love it here, because many of the students who were at CNCSD are currently students at NCSD. It made me feel comfortable and I got along with everyone. NCSD staff tried to comfort those students, including me, who had emotional feelings about CNCSD for several years. NCSD's staff is amazing and they're strict because they do care about us and our future.
Many children went to public school after CNCSD was closed and they were not happy at public school because they didn't have great interpreters and had no social life with anyone like themselves. They were very lonely.
Every year NCSD and Eastern N.C. School for the Deaf students tend to compete against each other in sports and education. One weekend at ENCSD, NCSD basketball players slept at that place and were totally uncomfortable with their design for bedrooms, cafeteria and gym. We felt so so dead when we went there. I mean, they didn't have any air conditioning and too many beds in every bedroom.
We have volleyball and basketball tournaments at different deaf schools in the southeast region. In the past two years we hosted the Mason Dixon Girls' Basketball Tournament and 11 teams came here and saw that we have a beautiful view of the mountains and the NCSD campus. They said that Morganton people were very friendly and nice to them. They love NCSD staff and students because we made them felt so welcome during the tournament that weekend. They told some of us that they love us more than when they met ENCSD staff there.
NCSD is historic. Many people in Morganton know a lot about NCSD and love us. I am graduating this year, but I do think of deaf children who need education in the future. I hope you understand about deaf children. I love those kids and you all, too.
Everyone who reads my letter about NCSD, please help us out and stand up for us! It will mean a lot to us.
Please go to North Carolina General Assembly - Home Page to contact legislators and send an e-mail about what you think of NCSD to these members of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Health and Human Services:
Beverly M. Earle (chairman) of Charlotte, Beverly.Earle@ncleg.net
Dr. Bob England (chairman) of Ellenboro, Bob.England@ncleg.net
Jeff Barnhart (vice chairman) of Concord, Jeff.Barnhart@ncleg.net
Jean Farmer-Butterfield (vice chairman) of Wilson, Jean.Farmer-Butterfield@ncleg.net
William Brisson of Dublin, William.Brisson@ncleg.net
Pearl Burris-Floyd of Dallas, Pearl.Burris-Floyd@ncleg.net

Back