Lesbian Couple Spars Over Child Support Payments

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
BOSTON -- The legal fight over child support payments between two women has ended up before the state's highest court.

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that the couple split up just a few months before the baby was born. Now, the woman who gave birth to the boy says her former partner is financially responsible for the child's upbringing.

In the HBO film "If These Walls Could Talk," Sharon Stone and Ellen Degeneres play a lesbian couple who happily plan to have a baby through artificial insemination.

That is how the story apparently began for two women known in court documents as TF and BI -- once committed partners who have separated and are now battling over child support for a 3-year-old boy. TF's attorney told the Supreme Judicial Court his client had the child because her partner supported and agreed to the whole idea of parenthood.

"The test that we articulated in our brief is that there is an agreement to bring a child into the world and the child would not exist but for that agreement. BI understood from the get-go here that she was this child's parent," TF's attorney Bennett Klein said.

The relationship had no written agreement on the pregnancy. BI's attorney, Wendy Sibbison, argued a lower court found there was not even an implied agreement that BI was assuming parental responsibility.

"The judge didn't make a finding that there was an implied meeting of the minds about the duty of child support. She found the opposite. She pretty much found that BI did not agree to this," Sibbison said.

TF claims she and BI had all kinds of parental discussions -- like needing a bigger home and choosing a school for the child.

"This is an issue about fairness to children. And making sure that children of unmarried parents have the same rights and protections and opportunities as children of married parents," Bennett said.

"This case is about a single woman who chooses to become pregnant by artificial insemination. And my basic argument is if you're going to do that, at least ask your partner before you get inseminated where they're willing to take on the duty of child support. These parties had no conversation about it," Sibbison said.

The court typically takes 130 days to hand down its decisions

IF it was me, i would make sure I Actually write who's responsible for what and lawyers witnesses it then go from there and save us the headache of court wasting time!

no offense but this definetly is one of the strangest story I've ever heard

This is probably one reason why the government doesn't want gay/lesbian marriages. It only brings more complications.

if i were in their shoes, i dont like be agrue after this a child.. i let my gf to have spend with child anytime she wanna spend with kid BUT long as she help pay with me for this kid, that would be fine.. i dont wanna go over court and give me headaches and not worth pay court too much! but only sign lawyer that sure she and i pay for this child.. u know what i mean?? also i cant FORCE or STOP my gf to see this kid, no way.. let her see her this kid ANYTIME! i dont mind!

VamPyroX said:
This is probably one reason why the government doesn't want gay/lesbian marriages. It only brings more complications.

yes exactly and also health insurance issues !!! The society and law enforcement will become more complicated. Too much stressful for the children to see both of same sex parents. Their psychological become too emotional and mock by their friends, schools, neighbors, etc...

My step-daughter's mother is lesbian. She went through a difficult time. My two sons give her alot of support ! She lost alot of friends, she becomes too isolate when her Mom and parnter show up at the Open House in school. Her friends saw her Mom hold her parneter's hand in the public. Then, end up she went to the Mental Hospital because the friends were reveuge on her locker door with paint spraying say, "Your Mom Fag and sicko !!" She dropped out her High School and move to Florida. Did not see her Mom again.

My two sons pray that I am not a lesbian mother. They would be very angry and upset. :|

Otherwise, I am straight !!

Last edited:
Wait, how can she not assumed that she wouldn't be financially responsible for the child if they were to break up? Parents are financially responsible for any child they bring into the world, why should this case be an exception? She was obviously involved in every decision regarding the child. Can you say deadbeat Mom?

aww I feel bad sorry for them...

Back