Laurent, South Dakota: Deaf Town

To me its like we are being forced out of the rest of society. Its like an indian reservation, but without the indians just deafies.

I feel like its discrimination. We should not have to go an create our own town we should just be accepted regardless.

Yes, we should be accepted regardless but we know for fact, that it is not true. We need to get together and do something about it. We should never depend on the hearing people, period!

There hasn't been a news release in months, and no blogs either. My take on that is:

1) No interest in such a town, or at least people interested in putting their money where their hands are.

2) The location in SD, while not the most popular, at least generated interest in terms of political clout. In Indiana, the town would represent diddly-squat in the state.

3) Therefore, any real interest in the community has dried up, and the designers are making no progress, therefore the town... ain't getting any closer to being built.

Here is what happened to the town. Marvin Miller himself is in huge debt.

10/4/06
LAURENT TOWN PLANNERS SAID TO BE $600,000 IN DEBT

KSFY in Sioux Falls, S.D. reported last week that organizers of the proposed sign-language town of Laurent are nearly $600,000 in debt. Laurent’s largest creditor is the firm that developed the town’s master plan and documents show the group’s only real asset is a list of people willing to live there. The Laurent Company’s store front in Salem is now empty, and executive director Marvin Miller runs the project as a nonprofit from his home. According to Miller, an unnamed prospective donor, said to be able to donate millions, has not come through. He and M.E. Barwacz, his mother-in-law, are now looking for other funding. McCook County Commissioner Marc Dick said he’s run out of patience. “We were pushed pretty hard to get our zoning completed and then it has come to a complete stand-still,” said Dick. Miller’s blog (www.laurentsd.com/laurentblog) promises “an alternative which is exciting." He told KSFY, “We’re going to do this, exactly how, I’m not sure.”

Laurent SD in Deafweekly

Ever since I first heard of Laurent I thought it would be a great idea. I don't think it can be compared to an Indian reservation because deaf people would have the CHOICE to live there or not. But it sounds like it will probably never happen. It is very hard to start a new city these days. But if it was going to be in SD, I would go there on vacation but not live there. Too cold!

Marvin Miller did not know what he was doing. Apparently he was over his head. If I were him, I would be very embarrassed and I would seek to hide from everyone who knows me.

At least he tried to have a go at it. How many of us have actually attempt at our dream??? Few, I'd bet.

To me its like we are being forced out of the rest of society. Its like an indian reservation, but without the indians just deafies.

I feel like its discrimination. We should not have to go an create our own town we should just be accepted regardless.

Yes, it will be just like the reservation, but you can choose if you want to live in a town or city of Laurent, South Dakota. Not forced out of the rest of Society. We have been oppressed so long because of the Audists trying to get us to hear and to speak with no sign language. Mr. Miller want to set up that reservation of that town so that we can all understand in ASL with service people and work there and communicate with easily no hassle from the Audists saying you can not sign, just speak oral only. I would not want to live South Dakota anyway because I prefer to live in New Mexico. Here on the Manitoulin Island we have snow and it get cold, sometimes freezing but that is part of life. I live on the Indian reservation with my husband who is hearing. My husband is very comfortable here because he can speak Ojibwe and English. So if you are living in Laurent, you can speak with ASL and Oral. But out in public, it is easier for the Deaf community to understand in ASL. That is all. Unerstand my point? :cool2:

Marvin Miller did not know what he was doing. Apparently he was over his head. If I were him, I would be very embarrassed and I would seek to hide from everyone who knows me.

"If I run away, what kind of leader would I be?" - Dalai Lama (Seven Years in Tibet movie)

At least he tried to have a go at it. How many of us have actually attempt at our dream??? Few, I'd bet.
Me me me! I quit my job and went back to school. It's everything I dreamed of. I lived in the rat race for almost 10 years and I honestly thought I would never go back. Fortunately a SMALL inheritance made it possible for me to go to Gallaudet full-time and work part-time, instead of working full-time and taking night classes. I cried a lot trying to decide if I should leave my job, it paid really well and I was secure, but the choice was worth it. It's truly amazing...I encourage everybody to face their fears and try it!

Me me me! I quit my job and went back to school. It's everything I dreamed of. I lived in the rat race for almost 10 years and I honestly thought I would never go back. Fortunately a SMALL inheritance made it possible for me to go to Gallaudet full-time and work part-time, instead of working full-time and taking night classes. I cried a lot trying to decide if I should leave my job, it paid really well and I was secure, but the choice was worth it. It's truly amazing...I encourage everybody to face their fears and try it!

Good for ya, Etoile! You in Gallaudet now or working in your dream job?

The right people involved

I am a profoundly hard of hearing real estate broker and developer from Mississippi. I think if he would have got together the right individuals the town would have worked. It does not take a lot to start up a town. The applications and government involvement etc is not alot if you know how to do it. Anyone can come up with an idea. You have to work for it. and make it happen. You cant expect anyone to do it for you. I even planned on moving to the city if it ever was built but as I followed it I knew it was not going to happen. It would be so easy to do to. That is why it is so sad that it was not built. I wish I could get in contact with the original group who wants to do the city, and offer any assistance I can. I could easily walk them through the process.
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the original people involved in the planning of the city?
If so Email me at LLL14@aol.com

Hello to all deaf community, please accept me as a new registered member , I am 67 years retired professor, graduated
from SCCC Seattle Wa. 1976. specialized in data processing & business technology. I hope we can work together to contribute to the well-being of of all the deaf people around us . Thank you .

Last edited:
Back