Lakeland Teens Feel at Home at School for the Deaf

But there's the other philosophy -- if you're going to put an implant in you want to totally immerse the child into oral education because if they succeed they're going to be part of the hearing world."
Oh lord.....not entirely a part! I HATE HATE HATE how experts make it seem like we hoh folks are more hearie then deafie......Yes, aiding and implantation does give us SOME access to the hearing world, which is good, but we will never ever be 100% a part of the hearing world!

You know....one good thing about the nastyness and superficality in jr high and high school, is that it makes a lot of kids decide to transfer to schools for the deaf.......maybe in a few years Deaf schools will be FILLED with a lot of orally educated kids who just cannot stand the downsides of the hearing world.

deafdyke said:
Oh lord.....not entirely a part! I HATE HATE HATE how experts make it seem like we hoh folks are more hearie then deafie......Yes, aiding and implantation does give us SOME access to the hearing world, which is good, but we will never ever be 100% a part of the hearing world!

true true true. aids and ci's don't cure hearing loss, they 'aid' it.

Wow Bree! O/T I know, but it does really honestly rawk to see a postlingal deafie be so positive and "let's see.....what will help me?" about being dhh, rather then being "Oh boo hoo hoo" being dhh is just so horrible, like SOME people I could mention!

deafdyke said:

I have to disagree with the 100% bit. I read the article and nowhere did I see they said to be 100% of the hearing world. It may be implied or inferred from the statement but it doesn't make it so.

To be a part of the hearing world totally depends on your perspective. For those who are HOH, they are a part as much as they are capable of and how much they want to invest in the hearing world. Anybody with any degree of a hearing loss (say more than 5-10%) will not be able to claim they are able to participate 100% of the hearing world. They will always miss something somewhere down the line. Heck, it is even true for the normal hearing people sometimes as they have to decide what to listen to as it is very difficult to hear more than one conversation at a time. For me (and I don't claim 100% and would be a ludicrous statement if I did so), I'm very much a part of the hearing world. It is where I live and breathe and so I miss some things here and there but that is not the point for me. I use the phone, I can hear very well in meetings (even a conference call), I generally get the jokes, I hearing the coversations around the corner and it goes on. This is a guy who is essentially 100% deaf without his CI. All I know is that I'm a going concern in the hearing world and very few normal hearing people know any different.

I agree with you and Breezy that a CI doesn't cure my deafness and when I take off my CI...I'm deaf period! I don't moan and carry on about it...I just do what I gotta do to make it in this world.

Just my 2 cents...

be implied or inferred from the statement but it doesn't make it so.
True, but they are pushing the implication that oral-only kids get a little more access to the hearing/normal/nondisabled world
part of the hearing world totally depends on your perspective.
I'm not saying that we're not part of the hearing world. We hoh do have access.....it's just that we don't belong MORE in the hearing world,then in the Deaf world. I mean even unilaterally deaf people encounter MANY difficult listening situtions where they are essentially functionally deaf.
That's great that you do so well with your CI, but again.....that type of performance is VERY VERY rare that you function as "almost hearing" or get such great performance from a device.

The article seemed like it was going the right way until they quoted the "expert" Deafdyke is talking about.

deafdyke said:
True, but they are pushing the implication that oral-only kids get a little more access to the hearing/normal/nondisabled world

I'm not saying that we're not part of the hearing world. We hoh do have access.....it's just that we don't belong MORE in the hearing world,then in the Deaf world. I mean even unilaterally deaf people encounter MANY difficult listening situtions where they are essentially functionally deaf.
That's great that you do so well with your CI, but again.....that type of performance is VERY VERY rare that you function as "almost hearing" or get such great performance from a device.

I "hear you" and I can agree with you generally about being between worlds. Been there and done that. However, I can hardly believe that I'm one of only a few uberkinder that do that well. I think it is probably more than all of us think. Still, I can agree that it is not easy being in the hearing world "just like them" (meaning not 100% but at a pretty good percentage of it) because the whole aspect how intergrated their hearing is in their lives. Everything they do involves hearing at some level and not even I can say that!!! :thumb: If put that way, then I can agree with you.

On another note, your remark about the performance of my CI assisting me isn't quite how I would describe it for myself. I prefer to look at it as my ability to utilize whatever is available to me and go with it. :D Perhaps this just nitpicking...but it is how I think it better describes how a person uses what he has instead of one be "pushed" to do better. Put differently, all CIs are essentially the same how they assist people who get them. Still, you will see diverse results from one person to the next. The outcomes are determined by a variety of aspects which is very hard to quantify. Why it is easy for me? *Shrugs* I probably be a millionare if I knew the exact reasons... I do know one reason is that I wanted it to work for me but I'm sure that was true for others.

srs, Actually wait, lemme reiterate what I said. I think you're probaly somewhat rare among prelingally or perilingally deaf people, but more common among progressively deaf or late or postlingal deaf losses.

Back