Just can't find the sign.

justmom27/7

Reaction score
Our whole family is learning ASL. My husbands cousin is deaf and so are a couple of family friends. None of them live close enough to ask this question of, so I am relying on your kindness to help me out. I can't find the meanings for about five signs.

1. closed C hand to the forehead and then turned away from forehead like discarding something from hand.

2. closed hand (kind of pinched) coming from right brow, away from face, just below the cheek.

3. upward H hand in front of the face sweeping downward and stopping just at chin level.

4. pointer finger bouncing off of the forhead.

5. sign for (join) being pulled apart

All of these signs are supposed to have something to do with Mental Actions. My instructor said that I can get assistance from people in the deaf community, but we're new to our area and I haven't a clue where to go at this point. Hope to change that soon, since I want to work in the public/private school system with deaf children. My children are learning ASL so that they can sign for church services.

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated. I just wish there was a way to return the favor.

Thanks in advance
JustMom 24/7 :wave:

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out with this. I figured four of them out on my own. Just one remains a mystery.

They were....not in order...

Let go
think
wonder
bond

The mystery is the U hand coming down in front of the face...similar motion as used when signing for God. (I previously described it as upright H hand, but realized that it was an inaccurate description.)

Thanks again

The last sign you're wondering about looks like it's the word: honor...from the way you're describing it...which it is formed as the letter 'U', coming down toward the face and away from the face a little bit. ;)

the sign which looks like join but being pulled apart can mean "uninstall".

Daft said:
the sign which looks like join but being pulled apart can mean "uninstall".
True, there are many possible English meanings.

disconnect
break the bond
disassociate
unhinged
unhooked

It all depends on the context.

Back