• no

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • it depends

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJCSue

Reaction score
I have difficulties with writing term papers and essays on tests. Is unusual for the deaf/hoh community?

To be honest, yes it is difficulties when it comes to writting essays or doing a term papers....I'm not quite a writter here and I'm also not great with words either if you noticed LOL ...

Yes, It´s same with me, too....

It could not be prefect.... I confuse sometimes between German and English language when I write ...

I'm hearing, but I also struggle with the written word, because, I learning disablities that has made it difficult for me to express myself through the written word. I do much better when I can just TALK to someone, because, I can just "spit it out" without worrying about sentence structure, and "where does that comma go?"

Ack! To be honest, I despise writing. :lol:

Writing is easy for me...it's even my major! I've even had some of my writing published!
"where does that comma go?"
I am taking an editing class....and it's HARD...if I ever meet the person who codified the rules of comma placement, I shall KILL them!

Hee, hee, Deafdyke, I know what ya mean and ummm, just a gentle, fun poke at ya: ".....the PERSON who codified...........I shall kill THEM..." :fingersx:

Tousi said:
... just a gentle, fun poke at ya: ".....the PERSON who codified...........I shall kill THEM..." :fingersx:
I am afraid that common error is the result of political correctness. It used to be acceptable to write, "the PERSON who codified....I shall kill HIM." Now people are so afraid of "offending" or seeming sexist that they use plural forms or the dreaded "he/she" instead.

Nope, that's correct....even William Safire says that sort of usage is acceptable!!!!

deafdyke said:
Nope, that's correct....even William Safire says that sort of usage is acceptable!!!!
Huh? He said that it is acceptable to not have the pronoun agree with the noun? How can you use a plural pronoun ("them") with a singular noun ("person")? Suppose your sentence was, "When I see Joe again, I will kiss him." You can't write, "When I see Joe again, I will kiss them".

Reba said:
I am afraid that common error is the result of political correctness. It used to be acceptable to write, "the PERSON who codified....I shall kill HIM." Now people are so afraid of "offending" or seeming sexist that they use plural forms or the dreaded "he/she" instead.

Reba, you are right. I just taught about subject-verb agreement to my class. I did some research. To be politically correct, as well as grammatically correct, you have to be a little less concise and consequently come off a little less seriously.
"The person who codified.... I shall kill him or her"

Doesn't quite have the same ring, does it? Ah well, that's English. My class of high school seniors has trouble understanding basic s/v agreement. I can hear it sometimes, others I have to just memorize the rule.

In general, to respond to the original post. I think many deaf/hoh have problems with English because it is an AUDITORY language based on PHONETICS, deaf people can't hear what sounds right. Sometimes gramatically all the rules are being followed, but the writing just doesn't work. My deaf friends and I do a lot of exchanges where I help them with English, and they help me with sign. Anyone who has any English questions feel free to PM me or otherwise ask.

I say no....writing is actually much easier for me, since I've been at it since I was a kid in first grade and had to come up with a story for a mini-book that we were making in class. Ever since then, I've been the geeky kid with the marble notebook hidden underneath my textbooks so that it only LOOKED like I was taking valuable notes during class...when in fact, I was coming up with plays, poems, short stories, etc. LOL.

I was very rarely busted...and when I was, the teacher really couldn't say much. LOL.

I think it is best to say (for me, anyway) that learning and improving never ends; that way, learning and improving actually DO occur, spilling out from this teeming orb in a never-ending display of wondrous prose that demands your rapt attention! :lol:

Well, that was kinda narcisstic, wasn't it? :lol: Nah, I'm not really self-centered. So Hopefully you saw thru my ruse and got my drift. This is an area of endeavor that never ceases, no matter who and what you are.

Ok, enuf of that noise; do carry on. LOL!

it would depend on the situation. I would not know what to write about on what they asked me to write, so it depends. :)

Writing is not difficult for me, because my hearing family has been communicating with me by using Oral reading and Signed Exact English since I was 2.

Back