Internet Connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Stupid question, I'm sure, and I think I'm overlooking something simple, but yet I'm scratching my head here.

I did a total re-format of my laptop recently. I'm not using it anymore but want it internet-ready for my roommie who's gonna buy it from me.

Yet I can't get an internet connection, either hard-wired or wireless. At this moment I have the Comcast cable modem ethernet cable plugged directly into the ethernet jack on the laptop. Why am I not getting an internet connection? I checked the settings and the "automatically detect settings" is checked.

I've been using wireless so long now I've forgotten the basics! :(

Thanks in advance!

since you can't get connected by either ethernet cable or wifi after reformat.... that's because you need to install the ethernet/wifi driver!

That should already be included on the XP installation software, shouldn't it? I've reformatted this hard drive numerous times and the one CD was all I ever had to use in the past .. This time is no different.

That should already be included on the XP installation software, shouldn't it? I've reformatted this hard drive numerous times and the one CD was all I ever had to use in the past .. This time is no different.

Wrong! you need a wireless adapter replug in and it auto update driver and it will work. Xp software doesn't have a wireless driver included.

Wrong! you need a wireless adapter replug in and it auto update driver and it will work. Xp software doesn't have a wireless driver included.

Of course, I did install XP and internet don't work without any drivers, it wasn't from direct to CD.

not always. sometimes the internet driver is released AFTER that XP. If you use the latest version of XP - chance is the laptop will work after installing XP but still - not always. All you have to do is simply go to laptop manufacturer website and download the driver from it. it's a small file.

Yeah, it's probably your wireless drivers like everyone else is saying. XP SP3 version might carry some up the updated ones, but for the most part they don't carry every single one out there.

If you don't want to dig through the driver searching game, you can try attempting to use windows update. Sometimes it has drivers for stuff, sometimes it doesn't. But if it's an older laptop, chances are it does.

Microsoft Windows Update (in IE only) and then install the initial configuration, then do a Custom Scan to look at the Hardware, Optional (#) section on the left once it's done scanning. Then update them all. Might as well update some of the regular priority updates while you're there. You can check off what you don't want by reviewing it before downloading.

Yeah, it's probably your wireless drivers like everyone else is saying. XP SP3 version might carry some up the updated ones, but for the most part they don't carry every single one out there.

If you don't want to dig through the driver searching game, you can try attempting to use windows update. Sometimes it has drivers for stuff, sometimes it doesn't. But if it's an older laptop, chances are it does.

Microsoft Windows Update (in IE only) and then install the initial configuration, then do a Custom Scan to look at the Hardware, Optional (#) section on the left once it's done scanning. Then update them all. Might as well update some of the regular priority updates while you're there. You can check off what you don't want by reviewing it before downloading.

but you can't do windows update if there's no internet connection. AC said ethernet + wifi don't work.

Oh whoops!
I missed that.

That's odd. AC, what's your laptop model? Dell ___?

If this were the case, then the only option is to download the drivers off another PC and transfer it over via usbdrive or CD or something to the laptop.
If you have your original DELL Laptop CD's, that should be good as well. But if it's not on there, dell's site should have it once we know your model.

It could also be the Windows CD you are using, if it's SP1/SP2/SP3. They have different variations of the driver database, that might be one reason why it might not have it.

I am well aware of that.

I have the wireless software installed. But, I'm not even trying to use that at this point. I should be able to get a direct connection through a cable-modem. I swear this is at least the 3rd or 4th time I've reformatted this Dell and I've never had to use anything other than the re-install CD. So it must have the drivers on that CD. I will take another look.

This should be automatically recongised if the drivers has been installed. I reformatted my main laptop (not the new one) and I re-connected my internet wireless without a problem. How old is your laptop?

A few years old.

But regarding the above posts, I went back and looked at the drivers on the Systems folder. 3 were missing - the Ethernet controller, the Audio, and something else ... I put the same Reinstallation CD in that I used to reinstall XP with (as I said above) and did a search for the drivers - they were found and installed. So I got an internet connection. I never had to do that before with this particular laptop - I just did a reformat a few months ago so I remember for sure. But problem solved!

Mod: Please close this thread. Got my issue fixed. Thanks! :)

Maybe the modem in the laptop itself is shot..

I am not computer expert, but I had that happen to me before.

Mod's Note:

The thread is closed as per thread creator's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back