In search of TTY

Applesseed

Reaction score
Anyone got a TTY that's not using or collecting dust? It needs to be in good working condition. Price negotiable (preferably free) - Near Pasadena, California or around San Gabriel Valley

Last edited:
why can't you use IP-RELAY and NexTalk TTY software on your computer?

Sorenson Videophone:
http://www.sorensonvrs.com
vrs_interpreter_process.jpg

My IP Relay buddy on AIM:
http://www.ip-relay.com
aim_number_promo.gif

NexTalk VM:
http://www.nextalk.com
VM_image.gif

I have all three, except the NexTalk is an older version. I never use NexTalk because it's a little confusing to use. I use SorensonVRS and My IP Relay the most. I am happy with both services.

TTY is a thing of the past. The last time I EVER touched or used a TTY was in 2001 or 2002!

Same thing here! I threw out all 9 TTY most of them working! I don't see any good use for them anymore! I even cut off landline phone service! Now riding on broadband for the price just little more than landline phone service and I get EVERYTHING, plus faster internet service! I can bet on that within 5 years from now, TTY will be completely DEAD!

To my surprise, I thought elder deafies would continue using TTY, but the truth to my surprise is that they are much thrilled to use videophone than TTY!

TTY had done alot for deaf community, thanks Robert Weitbrecht for his invention on TTY, but time has come for serious change.

Some of them think TTY relay is still better than Videophone, but the truth is that it MIGHT be comforting for those who refused to give up TTY relay, however almost all of hearing people HATE TTY relay!!! They rather deal with Video Relay service instead because of its speed and clarity (Less misunderstanding).

Deaf258 said:
TTY is a thing of the past. The last time I EVER touched or used a TTY was in 2001 or 2002!

diehardbiker65 said:
Some of them think TTY relay is still better than Videophone, but the truth is that it MIGHT be comforting for those who refused to give up TTY relay, however almost all of hearing people HATE TTY relay!!! They rather deal with Video Relay service instead because of its speed and clarity (Less misunderstanding).

:werd:

My family wants me to use the videophone to call than use the TTY. They used to like it when I use VCO in TTY, but now, it's videophones all the way through!

Weird? I don't think so. What I see is the SPEED involve between VRS and TRS. Don't you know that VRS has the speed of 5 to 10 times faster than TRS when it comes to SAME information being relayed? Here is what I mean that it takes 1 minute for TRS to relay the message, verses 10 seconds for the SAME message VRS relay, hearing people LOVE IT! They can talk naturally with VRS, on other hand with TRS, they were forced to talk crawly slow, sometimes one letter at a time... That sucks for them.

Deaf258 said:

My family wants me to use the videophone to call than use the TTY. They used to like it when I use VCO in TTY, but now, it's videophones all the way through!

Applesseed said:
Anyone got a TTY that's not using or collecting dust? It needs to be in good working condition. Price negotiable (preferably free) - Near Pasadena, California or around San Gabriel Valley

I got a lot of old ttys and I can bring a few with me to our booth at the deafnation expo for you to take from us and play with all you like.

Richard

Deaf258 said:

You can use VCO on the Video Phone as well.

diehardbiker65 said:
TTY had done alot for deaf community, thanks Robert Weitbrecht for his invention on TTY, but time has come for serious change.

It is not just Robert Weitbrecht, he was one of trio who worked together to come up a tty apparatus. Don’t forget other guys such as the late Andrew Saks and Dr. James Marsters (living) as well as their competitor, the late Lee Brody of Phone-TTY in New Jersey.

Nesmuth said:
I got a lot of old ttys and I can bring a few with me to our booth at the deafnation expo for you to take from us and play with all you like.

Richard

Do bring all of them so that I can fly out to California and try them out.

qwerty123 said:
Do bring all of them so that I can fly out to California and try them out.

Woops I just checked storage there's only 2 left. You still want those?

Richard.

So I downloaded and tried NexTalk - this is what I'm actually looking for. Thanks for recommending. I'm gonna use it from now on. I don't have $$ for Video Conferencing... plus I don't know sign language - I'm a hearie... but I do have trouble speaking :)

Applesseed said:
So I downloaded and tried NexTalk - this is what I'm actually looking for. Thanks for recommending. I'm gonna use it from now on. I don't have $$ for Video Conferencing... plus I don't know sign language - I'm a hearie... but I do have trouble speaking :)
No problem ;). You need speech therapy to treat your speech problems.

Back