Im sorry

Ice

Reaction score
i am not at all one to be "over sensitive", and i dont get mad with ppl over this, or at least i dont show it, but i swear, i hate it when i tell someone im deaf, and they say "im sorry", and they say it like "aww u poor thing"

being deaf is not a condition, or a sickness, its just WHO YOU ARE,

i mean i can just see the reaction if someone said they were fat and someone said "aww im sorry" ;p

agree/disagree? i had this happen today with this cute chick at tmobile, i just smiled and said dont sweat it, and deaf or no i flirted with her the whole damn time i was there ;p

I think it might just be the fact that T-mobile's in store employees aren't that bright. I had one ask me once if I spoke sign language. :crazy:

cental34 said:
I think it might just be the fact that T-mobile's in store employees aren't that bright. I had one ask me once if I spoke sign language. :crazy:

i dont get it why is that a dumb question? im deaf and i dont know sign, least not past the basics

anyways tho, this happens alot, usually its a 65% chance someones gunna say that

You don't speak sign language. The common question is "Do you know sign language?"

cental34 said:

LOL yea I remember someone asking my hearing friend the same question and my friend had to correct this person by telling him "It is do you know sign language not speak it".

Ice said:
i am not at all one to be "over sensitive", and i dont get mad with ppl over this, or at least i dont show it, but i swear, i hate it when i tell someone im deaf, and they say "im sorry", and they say it like "aww u poor thing"

i mean i can just see the reaction if someone said they were fat and someone said "aww im sorry" ;p

agree/disagree? i had this happen today with this cute chick at tmobile, i just smiled and said dont sweat it, and deaf or no i flirted with her the whole damn time i was there ;p

Yes I agree with what you said. I hate that whenever people tell me "Oh I am so sorry" whenever I tell them that I am deaf if they thought I was hearing. That was good that you went ahead and flirted with this woman to show her that deafies also know how to flirt ;)

I don't usually have trouble with others thinking this (of me) and therefore I don't typically have to deal with it. In other words, it is not one of those things I ever run into. You should see 'em when I tell them I get great night sleeps when I take off my CI :thumb: They laugh at that and usually say..."I wish I could do that". Obviously for me, it helps when they really don't realize that without my CI that I'm quite deaf. Old saying..."When in Rome, do as the Romans do..." Works for me!

Ice said:

It's a question of perspective.

From a hearie's perspective, the thought of being deaf is frightening. You've just told this person that you live in a state that they find the mere thought of as terrifying.

It's the person's empathy that drives the comment. We hearies depend very heavily on auditory input. The thought of being without it scares the crap out of us.

I'd say that the vast majority of hearies were making the comment based on this perspective. We just don't understand deafness. Even those of us who have numerous Deaf friends only understand bits and pieces of what it means to be deaf.

The comment also indicates that hearies have no idea how to interact with Deaf people. It was intimidating to me at first. Still is some times, even with my growing ASL abilities and understanding of Deaf culture.

We hearies do a really good job of being offensive, even when our motives are pure.

brianb

Yes, many times when I was at the store and the cashier was talking to me while her eyes were busy working with the money or credit card and I told her "excuse me, please repeat and I'm deaf", she was shocked and said, "oh, I'm so sorry". I smiled and I said "that's okay" and I asked her to repeat what she said. It happened all the times!!!!!! -grocery store, department stores, etc...

Momoftwo:)

Back