Identification of signers in Retail stores?

Silver_Wolfen

Reaction score
I bet most of you out there who have ever been in a store have seen workers with their name tags that say "Yo habla espanol" ( I speak spanish)

Would You Deaf shoppers out there wish to see Employees that knew Sign language be identified in the same way?

And how would you like to see it?

"I know ASL"
"I sign"
"I know Sign language"

I actually wanted to put that on my name tag when I was working retail. But all of the major retailers (Macy's, Sear's & JCPenny) told me no. That it 'wasn't necessary'. I was floored. My current boss loves that I know another language.

It isn't necessary. I can't even see your badge, and I don't imagine anyone else is going to spend a lot of time in a store looking for a signing clerk.

The clerks who sign seem to be on the lookout for anyone they can help with sign anyway.

It would be a nice gesture, but I think deaf people are more equipped to communicate over barriers than, say, a Spanish speaker to an English speaker. It will be pretty apparent that the customer is deaf, and if the clerk signs, they can politely ask if the customer prefers to sign. Still, I wouldn't discourage something like this. I think it would be cool.

Good idea in situations where it might not be obvious, like a flight attendant on a plane. You might not know a passenger is Deaf and they would much more likely see your badge given the small space of an airplane. In a retail store, you could probably gauge if someone's Deaf and speak and sign at the same time as a way of showing you sign.

I'd phrase it as "sign language" because that encompasses everything from SEE to PSE to ASL.

I work in a major retail store, and they don't use any identification for languages. However, I do sort of look for people I can sign with. As I am mostly a cashier it's fairly easy to identify who might be deaf.

I've only had positive experiences so far even though I'm a newbie at signing.

I worked at at retail store and when I was in there was a sign saying "ASL signer here" and they also did it for my buddy that spoke japanese-- no one ever came in that was deaf though. But it was great for the japanese tourists.

I work at Home Depot, and we have a board up by the front door so when customer first walk in, they will see a photo of the sales person, their name, and what language the know. We also have a button on our apron as well. I've had a good numbers of deaf customer come up to me for help.

Back