I need help!

CJ

Reaction score
I am in school now in the interpreting program. I have been asked to do an article about Interpreting. The syllabus said that it should be about some interpreting person, place, event, etc. Thats where I am stuck, I want something thats different then what everyone else is writing. Any ideas... I know the answer is out there, Im just stuck on where to look.

Thank you for everything!!
~CJ :thumb:

What eveyone else .....

At our lab at school, there are several news articles in old magazines, so far everyone in my class has said that they have been using those articles. Thats why I wanted something different. The type of articles in them are pretty basic. How certain people became interpreters, and their lives as interpreters. Those are fine, if they were possibly different then the others. I was hoping for something different, Im hoping Ill find something, ANYTHING that you know of that might possibly be different, please let me know!!

I'd like to help but this seems like such a weird question to me. There's got to be TONS of material on the web; have you tried a Google search to get any ideas? Or even just spending some time reading all the posts around here? Why are you limited to only a few old articles in your lab?

Think up stuff that interests you and then find a connection to interpreting. Like, if you're interested in theatre, do something about theatrical interpreting.

Try http://www.rid.org for information about the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.

The worlds of Deaf culture and interpreting are huge and varied, I don't really know how it could be hard to find an interesting topic.

Something spicy!

If you want something different, try talking to Dr. Paulette Caswell's experience with RID. In my eyes she's a level 5 interpreter, in RID's eyes she's a level 1 interpreter. There's something very wrong with RID and the way they grade the terps. You can find her under 'amicus' and her name too with the search engines.

I sent 2 level 5 persons to be evaluated and one was to state he's from our agency and the other to state shes a freelancer. He got level 2 and she got level 5. It's clearly something wrong with the RID grading system.

I think RID is nothing but a runaway political train that catches only the terps that are hung up like mail bags while the terps that have their feet on the ground are passed by.

Richard Roehm

I'm an interpreter myself.

I argee with Richard about RID.
They think they're "Macho" when they "Grade" they're interpreters.
RID is full of "Bull".
You all you can in your interpreting class CJ, pracitce what you learn.
It takes time, but hang in there you'll get it.
I've known sign language for 30yrs.
Good luck CJ!
Margie

Nesmuth said:
If you want something different, try talking to Dr. Paulette Caswell's experience with RID. In my eyes she's a level 5 interpreter, in RID's eyes she's a level 1 interpreter. There's something very wrong with RID and the way they grade the terps. You can find her under 'amicus' and her name too with the search engines.

I sent 2 level 5 persons to be evaluated and one was to state he's from our agency and the other to state shes a freelancer. He got level 2 and she got level 5. It's clearly something wrong with the RID grading system.

I think RID is nothing but a runaway political train that catches only the terps that are hung up like mail bags while the terps that have their feet on the ground are passed by.

Richard Roehm
Don't you mean NAD certified terps? They rate the terps at different levels. RID certified terps are CI or CT, not various levels.
Where did you send your terps to be evaluated?

CJ, do keep in mind that Nesmuth and Margie are part of the same advocacy center and thus are not expressing two independent opinions but rather the position of one particular agency.

When you're doing research for your paper, remember to find out people's affiliations in order to better understand their motivations -- especially when learning about a place like the Deaf community which has so many different points of view.

Nesmuth said:

Richard Roehm
Now, that's your opinion.

Here at RIT, they use RID sometimes. There has been evaluations from students, other interpreters, and department members. RIT has their own levels. RIT has their own levels. NAD has their own levels. Overall, each has it pros and cons. We can't simply say that RID sucks or is full of "bull". That's like saying that RID sucks cuz they're run by hearing people.

CJ said:
At our lab at school, there are several news articles in old magazines, so far everyone in my class has said that they have been using those articles. Thats why I wanted something different. The type of articles in them are pretty basic. How certain people became interpreters, and their lives as interpreters. Those are fine, if they were possibly different then the others. I was hoping for something different, Im hoping Ill find something, ANYTHING that you know of that might possibly be different, please let me know!!

You can read the article about Deaf person needs an interpreter to communication with medical, court or school parents conference.

I know one interpreter who is CODA, she can't interpreter for her Deaf Mom while her Dad had his heart attack. She could do this at same time emotional and professional mixing. She had to call the State of Commission to request a professional interpreter for her Deaf Mom.

Conflict emotional family matter issue and professional do interpreter. You can't handle this.

I just drop a seed for the idea for your term paper.

CJ said:
I am in school now in the interpreting program. I have been asked to do an article about Interpreting. The syllabus said that it should be about some interpreting person, place, event, etc. Thats where I am stuck, I want something thats different then what everyone else is writing. Any ideas... I know the answer is out there, Im just stuck on where to look.

Thank you for everything!!
~CJ :thumb:
Why don't you contact the RIT interpreter department. I'm sure that they can give you more details on this system.

Back