I need help with ASL classes!

nlpras

Reaction score
Hello! I was hoping someone here could help me. I need some advice on ASL classes. I need to be taking classes since my hearing is deteriorating at a pretty good clip. I was hoping someone would know if there are special classes for the hard of hearing or if I should just begin with a basic "conversational" class. I would like to become more involved with the deaf community. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

My recommendation (note: I am a hearing interpreter so this is not coming from HOH or deaf) -- contact your local community colleges and other adult education centers and find out what classes are available. Explain your situation and ask if you can get in touch with the teacher and see what he/she recommends.

If the classes are taught "voices off" (either with a deaf or hearing teacher), I would think you'd be fine. If it's "voices on," it might depend on your teacher. I had profoundly deaf people in my ASL 1 and ASL 2 classes, which were taught with voices on, but I also had really great teachers who made it easy to learn no matter what.

Yeah.... Interpretrator is on the right track.

I was born Deaf, but I didn't learn ASL til I took ASL 101 at my local college. The class was "voice off" and it worked really well for me.

I wish you the best in your quest for ASL skills! :)

Anyone else notice that there's a lot of latedeafened folks who are getting into Deaf culture and Sign?

I agree with Crime Fighter

Hi Nlpars,
I agree!
The best way to learn ASL is from a deaf teacher or from a deaf freind.
Thats how I learned sign language(ASL) 30 yrs. ago was from a deaf person.
I'm an intepreter myself.
See if your local commuinty college has any ASL classes that are taught by deaf teacher.
Margie

Back